Post a new topic
    0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 5:25 PM by seoservicepro

What Ever Happened to Simple Wordpress Themes?

seoservicepro Ranger

wordpress-pro.jpgI've been using Wordpress software almost since the day they created it.

Wordpress is definitely the best blogging platform there is.

As a CMS it is competitive with other CMS platforms.

For Websites, it's a simpler option for those that don't write HTML.

So, it isn't Wordpress I have a problem with. It's the people designing themes to use in Wordpress.

I understand Wordpress template designers want to create something cool and add lots of options, some of which they create themselves. I do appreciate creativity and encourage people to expand their thinking, so it isn't a knock on creativity.

However, as a service provider, it used to take about 2 hours to install Wordpress for just a blog, add and configure plugins, configure the admin settings, add the theme and even all the widgets.

Now, because of all of the additional options, the process has become much more complicated. Some of these themes come with pages and pages of documentation and many times that documentation is not very clear and in other cases, you can't reach the designer or they have no real help for you when you ask questions.

The preview my clients see looks great. Then you add the theme and it looks nothing like the preview because you have to go through a bunch of documentation and configure everything to get it looking the way the designer displayed it in the preview.

In the meantime, your client is wondering why they bought a theme that doesn't look like it's supposed to. We get to explain why the designers show that preview and all the things we need to do before it looks that way.

And some of these designers don't seem to have a clue about how their theme will actually be used. I recently bought a theme where there was no way to make the images on the front page linkable to the page associated with them.

You couldn't even add links to the text areas. I emailed the designer. They told me there was a Wordpress imperative not to allow those links because of security. It made me laugh.

Here's the result of that method of selling Wordpress themes. Our company is going to start having themes made for us.

I can outsource that easily and affordably and have a custom theme that is set up the way I want it.

The time I'll save time and money by not having to deal with that extra documentation and all of those configuration options.

I won't have to worry about whether or not the designer's theme updates will break the site as has happened more than a couple of times.

I won't have to worry about things like the bug-rich Cherry Framework, child themes or parent themes.

I'll be able to go back to a simpler time when I could get a blog up and running in a short amount of time for my clients.

And I'll still be able to have responsive and adaptive themes as well as sliders and anything else that comes with the more complicated themes currently out there for sale.

So, these theme designers have lost my business and I represent a lot of clients and give advice to a lot more people. No big deal, right? But, what if . . . Lord Forbid, others start to do the same thing?

If you can build simple, responsive Wordpress themes, contact me. I may use your services.

My Blog