Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2015 9:36 AM by Moderator Cath

Starting my Business

chamane Adventurer

Hi.  I was wondering if anyone had any advise on how to get my business going.  I recently began a Photo DVD Montage/Slideshow business that creates beautiful, affordable, and personal DVD KeepSake Slideshow movies for any life event (weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, birth announcements, vacations, memorial tributes, etc.)  I have created a website, and ordered business cards.  I have also got a Facebook Page, and am learning to use Twitter.  I also created packets that I sent out to funeral homes.  I have not heard back from any of these.  I also have run ads in the newspaper but these have been quite expensive since I am just starting out.

Does anyone have any other ideas of how to market such a business and get it off of the ground?  I have a great product and folks can see a few samples of my work on my website but I am having difficulty marketing it and so far have only sold 2 DVDs.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Chamane

• Re: Starting my Business
          LUCKIEST Guide

Welcome to the Community Chamane.

It sounds like you are making all the right moves, (ie  Website, Twitter and Facebook).

The business cards are also very important and you should hand them

out freely, like everywhere you go. (Post office, beauty parlor, every where in town).

Have you thought about a Trade Show??

Try getting involved with a local charity or the local library.

Do a free show for the library or charity  and let them do your advertising for your show.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

I agree with you, newspaper ads are expensive and why funeral homes??

Best of luck, LUCKIEST

chamane Adventurer

Thank you Luckiest!  Those are great ideas!  I actually just sent in my registration fee for a trade show coming up in a couple of weeks and trying to figure out how I will decorate my booth now. I know for sure that I will have a sample DVD running (the same one that is on my website).  The funeral home idea is because many people like to do memorial tribute videos for their loved ones services.  I really like the idea of the library and charity.  I will let you know how they go.  If you want to check out what I have done on my website, it is www.keepsakephotodvds.net.  I would love some feedback on what you think about the site.  Thanks again!  Take care!  Chamane

Moderator Rebecca Guide

Hi Chamane!  Congratulations on your decision to start your own business!  Would you like to share a link to your website and/or Facebook page?  That way our members can look and see what you are currently doing online and offer suggestions that you may find helpful.

Additionally, I'd like to invite you to download and read some great tips from our experts on the SBC team on how to make the most of every advertising dollar you spend.  You can find this, as well as other great tutorials in our "Leveling the Playing Field" series at: Leveling the Playing Field: Marketing Effectiveness

We look forward to hearing back from you, Chamane!

Cheers,

-Rebecca

chamane Adventurer

Thank you Rebecca!  My website is www.keepsakephotodvds.net and my Facebook is KeepSake Photo DVDs by Chamane.  I will definitely check out the tutorials that you mentioned and sure appreciate any advise or wisdom that members share here.  Thanks again!  Take care!

Moderator Cath Guide

Just a suggestion.  Having an available DVD at the trade show is a good idea!  Consider making another DVD with snippets of different themes you could do: weddings, birthday parties, reunions, vacations, etc. - not full DVDs but just enough of each to let others see what you can do.  Your family and friends could help you with this and a visual is a wonderful marketing tool.

Cath

chamane Adventurer

Thank you Cath!  That's a great idea as well.  I thought I would actually use the video that is on my home page since it has a little bit of everything and will show it at the tradeshow.  What do you think of that video?

Also, I thought I might actually get folks to sign up for a free video giveaway.  Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for your great input! 

Moderator Cath Guide

Nicely put together DVD, chamane!  It definitely gives the watcher many ideas of how to use your services.  And I agree with Rebecca that your generous offer to give discounts to vets and senior citizens is a lovely one.

Have you thought about offering a non-profit group a free, short DVD to show their community about the services they offer?

Once you get the word out, I would think yout phonr will start ringing.  My very best wishes to you and your soon-to-be-busy business!

Cath

Moderator Rebecca Guide

Your website looks very professional, chamane!  You have a great eye!  I also appreciate the fact that you offer discounts to veterans and senior citizens, as well as your offer to donate a portion of proceeds to charity.  These are great selling points that I think you might want to hit on - especially on your Facebook page.  Have you searched out groups or Facebook pages for these audiences that are in your area? You might want to join them and let them know about your services.  This not only gives you a chance to promote your business, but get to know other members of your local community.

Let us know if you've given these things a try.  I know our community will have some other ideas for your soon.

Best of luck!

-Rebecca