Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 2:47 PM by BenjiJuanKeno

Register trademark in China

TeeTeeTee Newbie
      I wish to register my trademark in China. How should I begin with? How much would it cost? Please help, thanks.
        • Re: Register trademark in China
          LUCKIEST Guide
          TTT, Welcome to this web site.
          Have you tried googling the question.
          One answer says _*Trademark Registration in China (*starting 149$:* *
          _another says _
          for as little as $15/year

Good luck, LUCKIEST
            handprint Newbie
            If you are seeking trademark protection in China, then you likely need it internationally. There is a method and system called the "Madrid System" for making one filing that will facilitate protecting you internationally, including China.

The major international system for facilitating the registration of trademarks in multiple jurisdictions is commonly known as the "Madrid system". Madrid provides a centrally administered system for securing trademark registrations in member jurisdictions by extending the protection of an "international registration" obtained through the World Intellectual Property Organization. This international registration is in turn based upon an application or registration obtained by a trade mark applicant in its home jurisdiction.

The primary advantage of the Madrid system is that it allows a trademark owner to obtain trademark protection in many jurisdictions by filing one application in one jurisdiction with one set of fees, and make any changes (e.g. changes of name or address) and renew registration across all applicable jurisdictions through a single administrative process. Furthermore, the "coverage" of the international registration may be extended to additional member jurisdictions at any time.

WilliamT Newbie
              None of the answers so far are correct and it is a bit disconcerting that people answer such an important question without really having any clue. I suggest you go read this very basic article on trademarks in China. It is basic, but it is very clear and to the point and it makes clear that you need to register your trademarks in China immediately or risk losing them or worse. I have registered a number of trademarks in China using top tier American law firms because it is absolutely essential that you register in the right categories and not just the one category you think is important. I have found that the fees for this are usually around $5000. Anyway, here's the article that will get you started. It's at China Law Blog, which everyone interested in China business should be reading in any event:
                BenjiJuanKeno Newbie
                I don't know if they do trademark registrations in China, but the Brandwise Law Firm is good. Their web site is at which has a lot of good, free information. They even publish their rates and fees.