Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 12:35 PM by suzanneast

Retail pos system?

sakshisyan Newbie

Where to buy pos system for retail store?

• Re: Retail pos system?
          Ranger

Hello!  Welcome to the Small Business Community!  I hope you've looked around and posted an introduction over here : Introduce Yourself !

I'm sure with a few details such as location and what kind of retail business you have , the other members of the community will post helpful replies!

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Joleen

blueskyglass Adventurer

No question that you need to start with the software application.  Figure out what you need in terms of capability and review software to see what matches.  Once you have that figured out then look to the software vendor to recommend a hardware supplier.

On the software side I'd lean toward cloud based POS if I were you.  Pretty soon that will be only type that exists for small business.

Rod

Blue Sky Glass

scalvillo Wayfarer

I would start with https://squareup.com/sell-in-store. You can sign up, download the software and set up the software for free.  You only get charged $2.75%  when you sell something.

If you provide more details on what you are selling and how you are selling it, people might be able to provide a better recommendation.

blueskyglass Adventurer

Squareup is certainly a currently popular option for people selling on credit BUT I still would caution you to determine your needs first then select software.  I can't tell you how many times I have seen people invest only to find out the system can't do what they need.  For example, do you need to handle split tenders?  Do you need to be able to do mix/match pricing?  Do you want to be able to do price override?  If you don't look first you will be sorely disappointed.

Rod

Blue Sky Glass

scalvillo Wayfarer

I would argue you not only look but experiment with multiple which is why I said "start with."  One huge advantage with cloud based software is there is no expensive setup so sign up for multiple and see which ones have the features you want.  Looks can be deceiving.  Experience the software... usually for free.  And read a lot of reviews as well.

Also keep in mind you are trying to create a delightful customer experience.  Customers like Square... they think it is cool... which is a soft advantage.

Another one that has some of the features mentioned above is http://www.shopify.com/pos.  Especially if you want an online presence and you want your own online store (vs. Square Market).

blueskyglass Adventurer

I agree with Calvillo with only two additions: make of list of needs first so you can throw out the ones that don't do the job rather than wasting time on them.  Second thing is that Square is kind of cool with the exception that there is no customer display (kind of sucks) and it constantly is asking for a tip.  What is that about?  Probably programmable but I can't believe retailers leave that in there.  I find that seriously obnoxious.

suzanneast Newbie

There are many reason of using POS such as take client payment but also cash control and measure your cost of good sold.  A good business person want to have the ability to track your sales and measure your progress.  Many people only look at one side of the coin.  Cloud base is good start up but with continuous cost structure.

ASTPOS