Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2014 9:10 AM by Moderator_JoleK

Do you make these mistakes?

Ranger

We know you're busy building and running your small business.  We get it - you are wearing several hats these days , but did you forget that today's successful businesses are making themselves a known presence in the online world too?

Steve Strauss runs us through a list of tech savvy moves we might not remember are important , especially in this era when everyone is online .  Make yourself known with his list of mistakes to avoid .

Do you fall into his category of businesses that could be doing more for themselves, Technologically speaking?

Read the article here , 5 Tech Mistakes Small Businesses Make  and let's discuss it !

Joleen

• Re: Do you make these mistakes?
          blueskyglass Adventurer

I agree with the list in general.  Mostly very important.  The one area I see may be misleading is the use of Social Media.  Social media nothing but a way for people to connect with people over things that are of common interest.  This means newsy things, fashion things, hobbies, fads, etc.

I work as a window replacement contractor.  This area is neither fashionable or a fad for the consumer.  There is no reason for people to "follow" a thread on replacement windows.  However, I know a number of small home service companies that think they need to be heavily engaged in Social Media.  They don't know why, they just know it is important.  The article you point to just adds fuel to a fire that is already burning a bit too bright.

Rod

Blue Sky Glass

www.blueskyglass.net

seoservicepro Ranger

Hi Rod. Do you use social media at all? Do you feel SEO has value? The two are directly related. Without having to blast social media, you can support your SEO efforts by doing some basic things. Be glad to offer more info if you want.

Ranger

You make good points, Rod , but I also agree with seoservicepro . If you feel social media offers nothing that would promote your business , you might need to look into what others see in it . If nothing , don't you think that being visible and reaching out to potential customers that don't know you exist is a positive thing? There are different levels of involvement that fit businesses needs when it comes to social media . 

Joleen