Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 1:15 PM by Moderator Rebecca

FASHION DESIGN

rinu1504 Wayfarer

I AM A BEGINNER IN FASHION DESIGN/ I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH ARE TEH MAIN SOFTWARE THAT FASHION DESIGNERS USE THESE DAYS TO CREATE THEIR DESIGNS. I HAVE HEARD OF FASHION DESIGN PRO. IS THAT THE BEST SOFTWARE.? CAN PATTERNING ALSO BE DONE IN THIS SOFTWARE?

• Re: FASHION DESIGN
          Moderator Naoko Adventurer

Hello and welcome to the community, !

I’m sure that our community members can give you great advice on that.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

-Naoko

LUCKIEST Guide

As Moderator Naoko said - Welcome.

For us to give good advice, you need to share MORE info.

What is your background?? Where are you located??

Do you have the funds needed to start in Fashion Design??

Do you have a Business Plan??

Good luck, LUCKIEST

Moderator Rebecca Guide

Lucky has asked some great questions which will help us provide more guidance,   What type of fashions are you interested in designing?   For example, are you interesting in designing casual wear, dresses and formal sportswear or something else?  Each one of these genres would require different paths, so it would be helpful to know what area you are interested in. 

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Cheers,

-Rebecca

rinu1504 Wayfarer

Hello Rebecca,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am more interested in womens clothing mainly dresses, casual wear like jeans and top as well as bridal dresses(indian as well as gowns)... Could you let me know which is the best software for all of these which I could use.

Thanks, Rinu

Kathleen F. Adventurer

Most designers use Illustrator and Photoshop. Since these programs are a bit pricey, you might consider a free, open source solution like Gimp. Since the software you mention is so low cost, you might consider comparing the results (output) between the two. Sketches rendered by Illustrator/Gimp etc, are very professional looking. With respect to the software you mention, I've only known 1 designer who used it and only temporarily once she saw the results of her peers who used professional grade programs. Perhaps I should mention that all of my customers are designers and I've been working in the trade for 33 years.

As to whether these programs can be used to make patterns, unfortunately not. Simplistically stated, pattern making is engineering; fashion design is closer to art. I should also mention that if one thinks that Illustrator/photoshop is pricey, the cost of pattern making software will make you faint. Our software (I'm a pattern maker) costs anywhere from between $8,500-$15,000. Here is an article that explains the difference between illustration vs engineering software in the garment industry: http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/cad-vs-cad/

rinu1504 Wayfarer

Hello Kathleen,

I got the digital fashion design pro software when i googled online for the software which are used mainly these days. It came up with this as well as a couple of others. I shall try working on Gimp as you have suggested. Which is the pattern making software that I could work with freely for now? the link you provided was really informative.

The photoshop for designing is called just "photoshop"?

Moderator Rebecca Guide

Thank you for your informative reply and article, Kathleen.  I must admit I don't know much about the fashion design business, but I found the article about illustration vs engineering software VERY informative!   Your business experience and career sound quite fascinating.  Do you have any additional advice for anyone considering a career in fashion design?

Thanks again for being so helpful.  Hopefully the great information you have given will help rinu1504 along with their career path.

Cheers,

-Rebecca

Kathleen F. Adventurer

Gosh Rebecca... I like to be helpful but your question is wide open and considering that I'm the kind of person who will tell you how to build a clock if you ask me what time it is, well, I need more targeted questions. In the interim, the site I linked to has about 3,000 posts on the subject of starting and running a clothing line.