Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 2:20 PM by Alyson Struwe

What Does That Popup Say About Your Content?

seoservicepro Ranger

It's getting all too common for businesses on the web to use popups to generate subscriptions, so I had to post about it. You can read this story here at LinkedIn.

• Re: What Does That Popup Say About Your Content?
          Moderator Berta Guide

I personally hate popup ads. They get in the way of what I'm looking for originally. I always just close them without reading them. I see them as a waste of advertising monies. Of course, I don't know if there are a lot of people who do the same that I do so they may actually pay for themselves. I myself find them very annoying.

~Berta

Scott Navigator

As an end user, I don't care for them either. However, after a lot of different split tests on a lot of different sites, they are WELL worth using to build an email list. No question whatsoever about it. And, there really is no waste of money since they don't really cost anything.

It's like telemarketers, I detest them but there is no doubt that telemarketing can be a very useful way to generate business.

seoservicepro Ranger

The value of a subscriber that did not subscribe because of what you actually shared in the content on that page is not as likely to continue to be a subscriber, not as likely to buy from you, not as likely to continue to want to read content from you as the subscriber who subscribed because they chose to due to what you wrote on the page.

It's just as on FaceBook, it isn't the number of likes you get, but the engagement that counts. The number of followers you have on twitter doesn't translate to success or lack of success. The sheer number of people who subscribe also does not equal success.

Plus, you can't give me the stats of who, because of the popup, never return to your site.

Scott Navigator

I understand your ulterior motive here. However, you're providing poor advice because popups have been a very important component of marketing funnels for the best of the best marketers out there. It's just smart marketing. It is very naive to think otherwise.

seoservicepro Ranger

I have no ulterior motive, except to give good advice. This is good advice. you and I will have to agree to disagree. You take whatever advice you want and call whoever you like the best of the best.

Honestly Scott, I've dealt with the popup vs no popup question since 1995. That doesn't make me automatically right, but it certainly qualifies me to share my opinion on the topic.

I gave the best advice in my opinion. You gave the best advice in your opinion. Now people can decide for themselves. Isn't this a great country?

mwmike Adventurer

This is incredibly poor advice.

Set your ego aside and realize that your personal opinions about pop-ups mean incredibly little in the greater context of the large amount of data out there supporting pop-ups as one of the strongest methods of email capture outside of widgets, apps and targeted promotional offers.