Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 1:13 PM by Moderator Berta

Residential Care For The Elderly.

Justen Adventurer

Hi, my name is Jay and I'm inquiring information on opening a small residential home to care for the elderly.  Non medical. I want to open a place that will allow the resident a safe place with daily assistance. Allowing the resident to also be able to live their own life but have the support to help with daily routines. Hygiene, medication reminders, home cooked meals, cleaning, etc.  Also I want to provide in house beauty salon, planned Organized excursions, etc. I want to be able to give them a place where their family's will feel comfortable that their loved ones are in goof hands.  Enhancing their quality of life. I find a lot of facility's do nothing to help the elderly in regards to their dignity and well being. just because they may not be able to live on their own doesn't mean they just get stuck in a facility with nothing to do but watch tv and watch the time pass. They need to be in a home that reminds them of their own house before having to get assisted living.  I'm looking at keeping it small maybe a 4/5 bedroom home with the option of having their own room or shared, but a place they can call home and not have total strict guidelines. I will implement personnel shopping if needed, and transportation.  once again this will be a non medical home (facility) that provides a level of care that includes assistance with activities of daily living.

I Would really appreciate any advice on maybe where to start, or who to contact about the types of licensing I need to open a home like this, or the criteria needed.

Is this similar to a boarding home or halfway house? 

If anyone know this business or could give me a contact that would be very appreciated. This has been my life long dream.

I will be doing this near the Tacoma WA area.

I Just retired from the military as a Army Ranger, and before the military I worked in the hospital as a tech.  I worked in the Er, orthopedics, hospice, elderly homes, phlebotomy, etc. Although now my license are expired there are courses and certification that I will obtain but which are necessary for the owner and what would be a waists of my time. This is my life work and what I'm putting all my investment money into.

If there is anyone willing to talk to me that has more experience in this field it would really mean a lot. I'm the nicest guy with the biggest heart. I will do this either way, but I want to do it right the first time.

Thank you for anyone's help or interest in my journey.

Sincerely,

Jay

• Re: RESIDENTIAL CARE FOR THE ELDERLY.
          Moderator Berta Guide

Hi Jay,

What a great idea you have. I've worked in Nursing Homes and Assisted Living facilities as a CNA. You're proposed home sounds a lot like an Assisted Living facility just without the dispensing of the meds. You do however, have more activities proposed than the AL's I worked for. They did organized excursions once every couple of months or so, and the residents did just sit around & watch tv either in their rooms or in the main living room.

I would suggest talking to the City where you are wanting to open your home at. They may be better able to guide you. You can also check with the SBA. They might have some suggestions as well.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on how things are going.

~Berta

• Re: RESIDENTIAL CARE FOR THE ELDERLY.
              Justen Adventurer

Berta, wow thank you for your Reply to my message.  A lot of good advise. My mother's parents were in a similar living facility that you are talking about and what I want to open, and all they did was sit around and do nothing. I want to change that. I wish I could pick your brain a little sometime. Thank you for your advise though, I will look into your suggestions. I'm working on it everyday. I have the financial part set, but now I need to put in place everything else.  There is a lot of research, and learning of the business.  I want all my ducks in a row, and make sure that I protect my self, my staff and my patients in the house. Once again thank you so much.

SIncerly,

Jay.