Post a new topic
    16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2008 11:42 AM by The Expert

What are some effective ways to steer people to my website?

Explorer Newbie
      My website is only 2 weeks old. I am a newbie about websites. I am relying on the designer/host for suggestions to get my site to people who need my services. My eyes glaze over when you all talk about SEO. So are there some effective, SIMPLE, ways I can help my website get seen by the people who need me?
        • Re: What are some effective ways to steer people to my website?
          wexler Newbie

There are several methods available to you:

The first and easiest is to list your website with the most popular search engines. Because many people use a search engine as their path to finding something, they might offer a good avenue for you to be found, when you first launch your website.

To start, you might want to navigate to these URLs offered by the search engines and enter your website's URL Address:

Google: http://www.google.com/addurl
          Microsoft's Live: http://beta.search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx
          Yahoo: http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit

These are just a few and keep in mind that when you posted your website in these pages, it could be several weeks before they send a web-spider along to review your website and list it in their databases.

Another avenue to consider is leveraging some of the blogs that are publically available. A BLOG is basically an online journal kept by individuals, companies, etc. You might wish to seek out some blogs that cater to the same industry/category for which your website caters and write a comment or entry about your thoughts or optinions and include a URL link of your website (checking with the terms and conditions of what is allowed to be posted, of course).

Finally, while SEO (or search engine optimization) sounds complex, it really isn't that challenging. I recommend that you consider picking up a book or search the web for some information on the topic - there's a lot out there and much of it written for the lay person.

Best of luck to you!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            travelhuni Newbie
            Are you trying to sell something on your website? Regardless, the FASTEST way to get traffic to your site is to PAY for it. You can register with Google and Looksmart, Yahoo Search Marketing, and a slew of others (although Google is still the largest) with what they call Pay Per Click marketing. You deposit a small sum of $ into a "bank" with each search engine, then every time someone clicks on your "ad" you pay a certain amount, usually .25-1.00+ per click. If you do this with google you will get spidered faster and therefore they will add your URL. Write me back and i'll tell you more details...it's complicated, somewhat, but you can do it. What is your website? I could look at it and give you some pointers to narrow down your marketing.
            Good luck
                Explorer Newbie
                See, I am such a newbie to this community that I thought my website would be visible to everyone! It is:
                www.dorahutchens.com
                I would love suggestions. I am now on Google for my keywords, at about page 6-8, which is thrilling. I just want to be closer to the front so folks who need my services can find me.
                    Iwrite Pioneer
                    You may want to go offline also - business cards with your website address, flyers or brochures for anyone who might refer your services. Signage on your vehicle can help.

How are you getting most of your inquiries now? Whatever that is, don't abandon it but use it to drive people to your site.

Ideally, you want people coming to the web for you, not surfing the web and happening upon you. Offline and online efforts can be used in a combination to give you the maximum coverage.

Good luck
                        Explorer Newbie
                        Iwrite: Thanks for the suggestion to combine offline with online. My challenge (see my story) is that I am a caregiver for my husband and partially for my mother. I am limited with the amount of marketing I can do face-to-face because of this committment.

Also, I am able to work with anyone anywhere in the US and can't even imagine how to reach them offline on my current budget.

This online biz represents a change in career directions and while everyone who sees my website says it is great, I have yet to get any paying nibbles. I was hoping that caregivers would see the site and be interested. http:// I have already asked all my contacts to send my website address to their contacts. I have begun to leave information at the local Alzheimer's association but need to do more. I am just winding up my current job so should be able to do some offline marketing soon. My expectation was to have a more national clientele however.
                            Iwrite Pioneer
                            Explorer, then you have made a good start. Really, you have. Don't be discouraged. If you are looking to make a connection with more national types of clients, then use the web to research the companies that might need your services and contact them. They may be looking for someone offering your service but not know where to find you. Get on their vendor list, some will even have programs for minorities and women.

Two weeks is not a long time to see huge results give it some time, but you are doing the right thing by trying to support your website. Good luck.
                      websolutions Tracker
                      hey, what is your domain name? Please provide this and I will give you some must-do tips that won't break your budget.

Best,
                      WS
                        NatOnline Tracker
                        The most effective way to drive people to your website is making your site unique. By that I mean informative articles about your field, Adwords, listing your site on the best web directories categories related to your topic, like Yahoo directory for example, links exchange and links building.
                          LUCKIEST Guide
                          What are some effective ways to steer people to my web site.
                          Use the word FREE. This web site loves the word FREE.
                          *SCORE is FREE. Do you know about SCORE?? or as NatOnline answered "*The most
                          effective way to drive people to your web site is making your site unique"
                          Good luck, LUCKIEST
                            amspcs Ranger
                            Publish articles on internet magazines (lots of them, Google 'ezine').

Join chambers of commerce and get your name and internet info published on their online website or membership roster.

Publish internet press releases. Again, Google and you'll find some good solutions.

These are some things that I have found help to make your site more 'relevent' in the eyes of Google, Yahoo, and the other major search engines.

But also bear in mind that longetivity of a website is also a factor considered by the SE's. In many cases, I don't care who you are or how great your content is, SE's won't even consider you for relevency until you've got some track record time under your belt, probably 6-9 months. They don't like to waste their time promoting here today, gone tomorrow websites of which there are many.

Get other sides to link into yours. Caution, they must be quality relevant sites in and of themselves, not unrelated junkers who link to you strictly for obviously contrived SEO optimization purposes. This I find to be the most difficult part, but also the most rewarding.

I'm not an SEO expert by any means, but my site has been up a few months now and is slowly making progress. The things I mentioned above have worked for me which is about the extent of what I can promise. Glad to share, hope they work for you too.

Hope this helps.

BG
                            amspcs@juno.com
                            www.merchantservices-help.com
                              bankpig Adventurer

Your post is steering people now. :)

-Bryan
                              bankpig.com
                                yucaipahomes Newbie
                                Well, I like your site, but you are going to have a hard time getting ranked well. The reason is that you don't actually have any content(text) on your homepage relevant to your industry. I know that it looks realy clean without text, but since Google can't understand pictures yet, you need to actually have relevant content on your homepage to do well.

Good Luck!
                                  Peter63 Wayfarer
                                  I would have to agre with amspcs, article marketing takes some beating IMHO. Its audience is vast and it's free too. The two hard and fast rules are GOOD CONTENT and ORIGINALITY.

I like SEO too. Even as a not-so-newbie, would steer clear of PPC for instance, until you've good income behind you
                                    The Expert Adventurer
                                    Great web site
                                    I thought the music can be a little distracting (and after sometime annoying) - especially if you are tired and desperately looking for help.

Please contact info@TheBestCityGuides.com - We can offer you a 3 month advertisement free of charge.

Also if you do have any promotional events - feel free to post them at http://www.thebestcityguides.com/MainPages/EventAdvertisements.aspx
                                    This is a free service.

You could get the help of your web master and incorporate TheBestCityGuides.com Calendar of Events free of charge to your web site.

You mentioned the Alzheimers association - what about the senior center in your area ?

A word of caution. Please be very careful when you set up Google adwords - sometime the amount of money you have to pay is not worth it and if set up incorrectly could cost you thousands of dollars (this happened to a friend of mine - who ended up paying $2000)

I sincerely wish you well. This is a service we need just now.