Post a new topic
    19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 3:33 PM by slallen

Can someone help me with advice on driving business to my website?

sgsellsit Wayfarer

I am trying to start a niche apparel line for the aviation community.  I have had a website for about a year.  I have no traffic or business.  I have registered with Google and Yahoo.  I suppose I don't possess the knowledge of lingo and the technical prowess needed to set the website up correctly.  I do not have the budget to pay for SEO.  Can someone shed some light on what I am doing wrong?  The site is www.flytwear.com .  Please reply to my email of sgsellsit@aol.com with any info.  Thanks in advance.

Everett

• Re: Can someone help me with advice on driving business to my website?
          Moderator Berta Guide

Hi Everett, welcome to the community. What is your marketing strategy? Are you on Twitter or Facebook? Have you gone door to door in your local businesses handing out flyers & business cards promoting your business?

As for your website, I would change the background color to something more appealing to the eye, and change the text from all caps (the letters kind of run together for me when trying to read that yellow/blue). I'm not very knowledgeable in website design myself but I know we have many members who are.

You have links to air shows and what not on your fun links page, that's great! Do you set up a vendor's table at any of the air shows in your area? That would be a great way to get your name out there. Have product there to sell along with your business cards & flyers.

Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions for Everett?

~Berta

AngelBiz Tracker

Here are some additional ideas to explore...

1. Visit aviation related sites, blogs and discussion groups and contribute to by means of comments, answering questions, etc. The idea is to establish your reputation as an expert in this field. This will help drive traffic to your website.
            2. Start a blog on your own website and write about aviation and aviation apparel.
            3. Participate in trade shows related to aviation and advertise your product
            4. Establish a tie up with related business - e.g. aviation parts, aviation enthusiast club, etc.
              seoservicepro Ranger

Every business website needs to think about three things.

Traffic

Leads

Sales

You need more traffic to get more leads. You need more leads to get more sales. Pretty simple.

Traffic can easily be generated by starting a blog and participating on social networks.

When I say participate, I don't mean just bookmark your blog post and hope people read it. I don't mean making a lot of posts and tweets that are basically, "Hey! Look at me!", "Look what I'm selling!"

Participation means actually building a network of people that are in your target demographic and getting to know them. What are they posting or tweeting? What are they marketing as favorites and liking? Replying to them, Liking them, favoriting their tweets, etc. means you also care about them and not just yourself.

Yes. That means it takes more time to do actual social networking, but it pays off.

As far as the blog is concerned, "Don't Count Your Blog Posts, Make Your Blog Posts Count" In other words, it isn't about how often you blog, it's about the quality of your blog posts. Don't just write a post because you think you need to. make sure you actually have something to say. Then take the time to dress it up with images, info-graphics, animations, video, etc. make it an interesting post someone wants to actually read.

If you are really networking on social sites and you are producing high quality content, you'll get more traffic.

Leads can be generated by using your blog post to pre-sell the customer, get them interested, then lead them to click through to the website page that generates leads for you. Leads can be generated by simply asking them to sign up for your newsletter or by offering a free download through your blog or by created compelling landing pages.

Sales can be made by following up on those leads with email marketing or a newsletter leading to different types of landing pages that are designed to close sales.

You can give special offers for buying within a certain time frame or just give them a great product at a decent price and since they found you on their social network, read your blog, gave you their email address, etc., they feel more comfortable buying from you.

It all works together. One big picture, not a bunch of different and separate things you are doing. it can work like a well-oiled machine if done correctly.

seoservicepro Ranger

Took a look at your website. Here are some tips.

1. Don't depend on the top navigation to get people to where they can see your t-shirts and other products. The stuff below your navigation distracts the visitor, their eyes go down below the navigation.

2. You need to add calls to action in the body of the page, such as where it says

Try  Out  One  Of  Our
                New  Fly-T  Wear  Designs!!

Make that clickable to the page where the t-shirts are.

Same with the logo on the right.

And again with your $9.95 special.

Then get rid of everything below that. The dyes thing can be explained on product pages and you're not a salesman for paypal so lose all of that, including the credit cards mini picture. They will know how to pay you on the purchase page.

3. Dark sites don't usually do as well as lighter colors. I advise white background with some colorful stuff on the page. Use a lot of colors. All of your t-shirts aren't black right? You offer colors. Make the front page colorful too.

4. Get rid of fun stuff. You aren't there to promote other websites. You're there to make sales.

5. Don't mix towing with t-shirts. You need to focus on one business with one website. This one is all about your t-shirts, so make it all about your t-shirts.

Alternative 2. Get rid of the home page altogether and take people right into your catalog.

Alternative 3. Turn your home page into icons that link to the different parts of your website.

You are going to need some marketing budget. As an entrepreneur, you can do a lot on your own, but it takes sacrifice. You have to decide how much money and how much time this business is worth to you to build it into something, then you have to put that time and money into it, even if it hurts.

If you have a passion for this, think it will work, believe in it, then that's what you have to do.

So, ask yourself the question. Is this worth my time and money? Some ideas aren't, some are. Only you can answer that question. If you answer yes, then do whatever it takes to get it going. Find the money to launch it and market it, even if you have to ask friends and family to help you get it going. If you can't convince anyone to back it and you don't have the money and time to put into it, then you may want to do something else.

Sorry for being blunt. Just wanting you to think about it. And if you decide to commit to it, what it is going to take to get customers.

sgsellsit Wayfarer

Thanks for the great info.  Blunt is good.  I will start working on rearranging my site.  Passion for aviation is what I have, unfortunately I also work 80 hrs. a week on my contract production.  That is what pays the bills.  Hopefully this site will alleviate some of that extra work.  Thanks again.

Everett

Art proofs sent with this email are the responsibility of the customer to check for spelling and any other errors.  If approved, it will be printed as is and we take no responsibility for errors found after said approval.      

Specialized Graphics

7990 Highway 43

Florence, Alabama 35634

(256) 757-7554

John 3:16

seoservicepro Ranger

Hi Everett. You sounded like you wanted exact advice rather than what I posted earlier. But, you just said, "Hopefully this site will alleviate some of that extra work."

Your work has only just begun.

sgsellsit Wayfarer

Please don't get me wrong I very much appreciated the advice and I will use it.  But work is a relative term.  I just meant that the type of work that is involved in promoting my site and building and producing my product line would allow me to not have to concentrate as hard on multiple contracts that all have deadlines.  Plus, I would not have to be tied to a concrete production floor in my plant for 16 hours a day.  Where it is loud, messy, stressful and 125 degrees in the summer and 40 degrees in the winter.  I could do a little less physical labor to turn out multiples of my line at a more premium profit.  I should have made myself more clear.  Thanks again.

Everett Chandler

Art proofs sent with this email are the responsibility of the customer to check for spelling and any other errors.  If approved, it will be printed as is and we take no responsibility for errors found after said approval.      

Specialized Graphics

7990 Highway 43

Florence, Alabama 35634

(256) 757-7554

John 3:16

Moderator Berta Guide

Lots of great information here. How are things going sgsellsit?  Please keep us updated on your progress.

~Berta

tommy Wayfarer

I can suggest you some good tips and if you need even our help as we already well ranked on search engine with various keyword  , being an seo agency please do let me know more about your website and business.

eburnssr Wayfarer
                            1. Use PPC from Google AdWords & Don't do it yourself.
                            2. Use your social media Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ & Blog.
                                    1. When you write on your Social Media, Always, that's always  link the discussion back to the full discussion on your website
                                    2. Join groups on LinkedIn that are not associated with your industry but those that would use your product or service
                            3. Cost Google AdWords
                                  1. One time charge for setup by professional $700.00
                                  2. Budget Regional $300 Per Month  (Management fee is 1/2 of this amount)
                                  3. National $800 - $1,200 Per Month  (management fee is $300.00 of this amount
                              Tony Wittock Wayfarer

I am looking for the same solution too...I don't believe it is easy....I am trying to do a lots on social media for the time being until I can figure out how to drive traffic to my site.

slallen Newbie

Marketing on a shoe-string budget is challenging but it can be done.  If funds are tight, you will have to devote a good amount of time getting yourself up to speed with some very basic SEO, PPC advertising and social media marketing.  There are literally a million sources out there for all of these topics.  To help you weed out some of the duds, here are some of the best gurus/professionals we trust.  They provide a lot of educational articles and some free videos occasionally:

www.socialmediaexaminer.com (social media)

www.arealchange.com (PPC and social media)

www.brainswellmedia.com (awesome sales tips)

http://vongehrconsulting.com (he's a master with SEO)

If you have some time to invest reading their blogs and signing up for their email newsletters, you will learn a lot of valuable info that will help you grow and market your business.