Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 12:02 PM by kimmy burguess

Marketing for home care/eldery care services

phc Wayfarer

I'm new in this business. I'm a nurse, but don't have business background. I love working with people (patients, family, and workers). Is there any resources out there? or is there any suggestions for marketing? 

• Re: Marketing for home care/eldery care services
          Guide

Welcome to the forum, Passion Home Care Service.

Could you please introduce yourself and tell us a little bit more about what it is exactly that you would like to do. What kind of services would you like to offer? Do you have a business plan? Have you looked into licensing?

Also feel free to peruse our forum and offer us your business opinions so that we may gain direction and guidance from each others experiences. I am sure that many of our community members will appreciate your expertise and value what ever information you can offer us.

Melinda

phc Wayfarer

I started the home care business for the past 2 years. The service this company provides is caregivers/homemakers for eldery who need someone to help them out from shower, meal preparations, housekeeping, laundry, and any personal care. It started out when I work at a nursing home, patients were asking if I knew someone who can help them out when they are at home. So, I begun with my patients and that's about it. I don't have any idea how to get my company name out there. I have a business license, but that's about it.

AngelBiz Tracker

Here are few resources to learn about marketing and growing your business..

http://www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/starting-managing-business/managing-business/growing-your-business

http://www.smallbizviewpoints.com/category/marketing/

Some other suggestions specific to home care / elderly care.. Have you looked into tie-up with insurance providers? How about visiting your local civic center or senior citizen community to advertise your services.

crifjohnson Tracker

Hi,

First of all i appropriate your way of business. I think New and old don't put great meaning in any of  business,Things that counted are way of thinking about your business, your planning and and your budget. However information provide above will help you. 

Guide

Thank you Passion for elaborating on your services. AngelBiz nailed some great leads for you. I like her ideas. 

Have you tried posting your business cards at some doctors offices (specifically doctors who deal with the elderly), hospitals (if they have a bulletin board), rehabilitation centers, stores that offer medical supplies, retirement communities, or the meals on wheels program? The local paper can also offer you leads. Many people post ads looking for in-house care for their loved ones.

Most of your leads with probably come from word of mouth and your reputation will be questioned so make sure you have a list of references. This type of business is very personal. Most people are very careful when they let a "stranger" take care of an elderly loved one. Try marketing yourself on Facebook and LinkedIn. These two are very powerful sources to tap into when it comes to word of mouth.

You might want to look into a simple website as well. I know that in the beginning finances are tight, but placing a website addy into your marketing is a good idea. If that isn't in your budget, then write a simple ad on places like craigslist (watch the spam) and your local on-line yellow pages.

Good luck and let us know how your doing.

Melinda

kimmy burguess Adventurer

A basic understanding and some planning will help you to maximize your efforts for growing and maintaining your business. Marketing is all about telling people about your services, where they can find them and how they can avail them. Your marketing plan may include your business website, blog, social media presence,advertising, business cards,newsletter etc.