Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 7:36 AM by fendermender

I NEED HELP IN ESTABLISHING MY SMALL BUSINESS

christopher Wayfarer

I am so in love with the energy sector and with supplies of petroleum energy products. I always prefer to work as a broker as it allows me to help and secure the interest of any buying client, helping them to avoid hazards of any sort and disappointments. I used to work with small private oil companies who are have license to sell and also small private companies or investors in the energy sector who are in need of the products and buy in small quantities like 2000 metric tons or more from Africa. Recently, i just relocated to the USA and i want to continue my business, but i am having trouble finding clients and small buying companies here. I know they are here because the bulk of petroleum and energy product buyers from Africa are American companies. Please how do i go about finding them. I have tried some B2B sites, but it has not being so helpful.

• Re: I NEED HELP IN ESTABLISHING MY SMALL BUSINESS
          Guide

Hi Christopher,

Welcome to the forum. Please take the time to introduce yourself and your company. We encourage you to peruse our site and offer your business experiences. 

How long have you been in this business? Are you an established company here in the US? Do you have a website for us to view? Can you not build your small business through your contacts from your previous company?

Melinda

katandmouse Adventurer

Christopher, have you tried LinkedIn? I would seek out in LinkedIn the companies and company leaders you know and then see what groups and connections they have made. Try to do the same. Birds of a feather flock together as they say, and what you seek might be congregating in the same circles.

fendermender Adventurer

Hi, Denise Blackman here, owner of LDJ Auto Body and Collision in Gibsonton, FL.  My husband and I moved here from Chicago about 5 years ago and also needed to establish our authority in our business.

I agree with katandmouse that Linkedin is a great place to find people in your niche.  Search for those that you know and connect with them.  As long as you have done business with them, you should be able to connect with them fairly easily.  I would also concentrate on using Google+ and build a network of circles with those that you previously worked with and then branch out from there.  Google+ allows you the ability to reach the people in other people's networks very quickly.

I would also search the internet for your competitors.  A lot can be learned from the people you compete with.  It is a resource that often forgotten about, but one that is the easiest to access!  Take a look at your competitors websites and look for who is accessing them.  Find the highest ranking competitors and see what keywords they are getting the most response from and try and duplicate some of their efforts. 

Doing business here in the US should not be much different than doing business from outside the country and those that you worked with then should still be available now.  In fact, you should be able to expand on your existing business now since you are here in the states.  Just remember that networking in your type of business is key to making new contacts. Start with that and expand your network as far as possible.

We wish you success in all you do!

christopher Wayfarer

Thanks a lot fendermender, that was really helpful.

fendermender Adventurer

No problem at all.  Small business owners need to work together to maintain a camaraderie to be able to stand up to the bigger brands.  Small business communities, like this one, are a great way to expand your network.  Learning from other people's mistakes and sharing your own with other newcomers helps to build a good strategy for growing our businesses.

Stay active in your small business community and you will find that it is much easier for your customers to find you in your niche.  I'm certainly no expert in your industry, but now that I know who you are, and I hear someone looking for someone in that niche, I will most certainly drop your name when it's appropriate, and that is exactly why communities like this one work!

Good luck and I hope you'll continue to share with us as you grow your business here.  Be sure to give back to the communities that helped you and you will find that your authority in your niche will grow accordingly.

Best wishes,

Fendermender