by Scott Adams. His advice can be summarized as

"Forget passion."

"Goals are for losers."

and of course, "Suffer defeat.  Lots and lots of defeat."

Looking for feed back from the community, LUCKIEST

• Re: Today's  Wall Street Journal
          mganthony Wayfarer

Can you provide a link?

But as a general remark, I would only agree with the last half of the summary.

I don't agree with the parts about "forget passion" and "goals are for losers". It would not be in your best interest and not at all an good idea to embark on such an important project without either of the two components. One must have some type of inspiration and motivation for their small business otherwise burn out will most likely be the final outcome and goals help keep us on track and show our achievements which could ultimately determine if the business will be successful. Just my initial thoughts.

MGAnthony

LUCKIEST Guide

Google Scott Adams

mganthony Wayfarer

Thanks for sharing. That is a great article. I now see his point and agree somewhat with his counter offer to "forget about passion" and "goals are for losers". I still think both passion and goals are important, however, to his point, one must be willing to work hard and have a strategy for becoming successful. After reading the article, it made me realize that I should not rely on passion and goals alone, but work hard at anything I might pursue have an open mind to different ways of becoming successful.

Also, reading the article reminds me of an article I recently read regarding a manager who lead his depart to fail at success. In short, he encouraged his employees to fail in order to find that successful niche, or not to be scared of trying a new idea. The employee's performance was based on failures and failures were rewarded. He found that when an employee was to scared to try an idea for fear of failure, creativity suffered and thus, an idea never got the opportunity to fail or succeed for that matter.  

AngelBiz Tracker

I agree with him about trying things out and being ready for defeat. Learning from failure is a must for any entrepreneur. However, I don't agree with him about forgetting the passion. Entrepreneurs have to have passion to face the challenges that every entrepreneur faces.