Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2015 11:15 AM by Richard Melancon

Growth

LUCKIEST Guide

To grow, empower your employees to think, act and feel like you (the boss or owner).

• Re: Growth
          Guide

That would be the right idea to ensure your company grows in a positive direction. But many business owners don't do it for fear of their employees becoming "too smart" and wind up leaving or stealing. My philosophy on this has always been, if they wind up leaving that means you in same way have not satisfied their needs. Unless of course, you as an employer knew that your employee had bigger and better plans in their own future. If they wind up stealing, you didn't screen your choice of candidates wisely. 

Melinda

Richard Melancon Adventurer

I agree with empowering your employees.  I would extend this concept by stating that the owner (for a small or medium-sized business) should start by aligning his/her personal values with the corporate mission.  This allows the company to attract employees with compatible values who are then motivated to work toward the goals of the company.  Once the owner sees a cohesive team with the members all working toward the goals of the company, then the owner can feel more comfortable with allowing employees to stretch, reach, and go beyond their current responsibilities. 

As employees run into roadblocks or make mistakes, the owner must make sure that policies, procedures, or direct intervention is in place to show employees an appropriate method to address the issue.  When all employees are working together, they are more willing to seek assistance from others when challenges arise.

I am passionate about this topic; so much that I wrote a book on Integrity-based Leadership.  The book is about growth and how an owner can transition from manager to leader to allow the company to grow.

jaynorth Tracker

Yes genuinely a good move to make the employees confident & capable enough to take any challenges. But at the same time it is important to keep them loyal for the benefit of an organization.

Jay

Employees will be loyal when their personal goals can be achieved within the culture, opportunities, and policies of the company.  That's why it's important for the owner to align personal values with the corporate mission and then to hire employees with values that are complementary with the owner's values. 

The area where the corporate mission overlaps with an employee's personal goals is where staff will find their motivation to work hard, help the company improve, and find a reason to enjoy their role at work.

The above two statements go hand-in-hand.

Moderator Cath Guide

Great responses Richard and Jay!  I agree with what both of you all said.  Trust is a big part of this equation, don't you think?  When the boss lets his/her employees know that they are trusted and the employees internalize that, everyone wins.

I have worked for bosses who empower and others who micro-manage.  Guess which boss got the most productivity from his/her employees?  Growth will then begin to appear - in the employees and the company.

Thanks again for sharing your opinions.

Cath

Cath

Trust is always important because the Company relies on the fact that employees do not steal, drive customers away to spite the Company, or reduce customer service value.  However, be careful about the importance you place on trust. 

If you have effective procedures, strong internal controls, good management, and you support staff when they offer good innovative ideas, then the Company can achieve significant results without relying on employee trust as the productivity driver.

Having said all of that, a lack of trust always creates a dismal working environment.