Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2013 9:30 AM by Moderator Melinda

Buy 30% from Partner

jgllc Wayfarer

I am 70% partner in Buisness, wanted to buy 30% ...The inventory in the buisness is 280,000. Bank Accounts 20,000.

The partner says he is going to sell his 30% If I pay him 100,0000 . But he is going to treat the value 100,000 as Goodwill and sold his 30% share.

My Question is - How it is going to affect me today and in LongRun.

• Re: Buy 30% from Partner
          Guide

Hi jgllc,

Welcome to the forum. Could you please introduce yourself and business so that we can get a clearer picture of what is going on. What does your company do? How long have you been in business? What kind of a profit turn around are you looking at so far? Have you approached your accountant and bookkeeper on this topic?

Melinda

jgllc Wayfarer

Hi Melinda,

Good morning...

Thanks for email, here is all the answers to your question and My Question

at the end...Let me know your thoughts.

Well the company is in the Retail buisness. My partner had that buisness

earlier from 90s, I worked for him for 5yrs from 2004-2009 with a condition

that he going to sell the buisness to me after 5yrs. After 5 yrs when the

time came he kept his word but due to financial constraints I told him that

lets do partnership and Me (70%) and my partner (30%) entered into

partnership and formed new Comapny in 2009.We been in the buisness from

2009. Every year at the end of year we would distribute the profit in the

same ratio as above. Yearly Sales half a million, and net pofit would be

around 70-90k total.

Well as far as the book keeping and the accountant, I trusted my partner

for keeping that and interaction with Accountant. Now I offered him to buy

all his 30%share. He agreed and we decided to give him the 30% of the total

cost of inventory as per books and 30% of what ever money is left in the

bank accounts after clearing all the outstanding Charges. total comes

around 100K.At the end he says that he wan't to show that money as Goodwill

because of tax.

Hopefully now the picture is clear, if you have any specific question

please email me.

My question is how is it going to affect me today and in the long run.

--

Thanks & Regards,

Sam

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Moderator Melinda <

jgllc Wayfarer

Hi Melinda,

I did replied to the email I got, do I have to reply from this link or that's good.

Guide

Hi Jgllc,

It sounds like to me that the company is very stable, which is a good thing. My suggestion to you is speaking with the companies accountant about this topic. Once you buy the company 100% you will need to continue with the accountant anyway. Ask the accountant to show you the books and give you advice. I am not sure what your partner means as "goodwill". Is he referring to a "gift"?

Melinda