Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2013 9:26 AM by Moderator Melinda

Working with a 1&1 account

orbital config Tracker

Hello I had got some work with a local band member and have done some graphics work for him already now he wants me to post some pics on his website. We transferred everything from a Go Daddy site to his 1&1 account (1&1 is controlling everything now). I have all the files, I can see them all, I had transferred the pics I need to the server in the 1&1 account with all the adjustments I needed to do, but nothing is going live. the transfers were all successful, it went through the process, but it is not live on the site, I don't know why it's not live. I am ether missing a step or I need to log into the site and upload the pics in something else to make is visible on the live site. They built the site with something other then a site builder or a template based program. (I can make a killer site with templates or the site builder) but I don't understand how to use the site to make my pics go live in the real world sort of speak.

If anybody has used a 1&1 account please get me started, I'm NOT looking for an instructor on how to program I just need that little boost, I do understand some things about websites and a little less about programing. Once I am in the site I am for sure I can figure things from there on.

Thank you all for your response, any suggestions will help, I have check you tube on videos on how to do it but every single one of them seem to show how to upload the files and creating the accounts etc. I'm passed that I need it to go live now. I know this is one more easy step adn I'll have it, I need that little boost. thanks

• Re: Working with a 1&1 account
          Moderator Berta Guide

Does the 1&1 site building not have an IT or assist desk type of area? Seems like they should have some kind of support person who can help with any questions you may have.

~Berta

orbital config Tracker

Yes they do but they will not help in guiding me, they will get me to the page only, like for example they took me to the FTP server to make the changes, but they will not go farther then that with me. I called them 3 times and tried to talk in different ways around it but, ya know, they know what I really want, lol. so it resulted in they will take you there but not teach you how to use it. Go-Daddy will walk you through the process of making it happen, 1&1 wont do this for there customers.

Moderator Berta Guide

That sounds like some seriously bad customer service for a company that wants people to use their services. If they fail, we will all know why. I'm sorry that I am not able to assist you myself in this matter. I hope some of our members have suggestions for you.

~Berta

orbital config Tracker

Yea I kinda look at it like that also. other sites seems like they make it all successful for you, or put you on the path to be successful on there site, spend the time to educate there customers. When it all boils down to it if someone ask me my opinion I would say how knowledgeable are you. then recommend Go Daddy if there not a web designer/experienced programmer. It may be the only people they want there, who knows, lol

Guide

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time Orbital. Sounds like to me that going back to Go Daddy might be best. I am curious though, what made your friend decide to move the files to a 1 on 1 account in the first place?

Melinda

orbital config Tracker

I don't know, really,the way I am understanding it someone told him to do that and was not a decision he made himself. (this is common in my experience) I talked to him and explained to him that I am awesome at site builders/template based form and can recreate it like something amazing but he said NO, he wants me to figure out programming. lol. It is a challenging for me and don't mind doing it because it is exciting for me to boost my knowledge. but he as the customer will be delayed in the site experience for the customer to download his music. (they are all on reverberation to download it is just not linked to the site) I am at the end now and have it posted here on this site so if I get no response or some type of step to take on here from reply's I will just explain to him he has to pay someone full price (and listing to his complaints about it) everything is up front I don't hide nothing in explaining to my customer of what is possible for me. It has worked and most of my clients appreciate it and my advice. He is supposed to be looking into a programmer that worked with him before to see how much it will cost for him to teach me how to move around a FTP server and make changes. I say if he will do that I'll take advantage, YeHa free knowledge, I'll take it!. he doesn't know  but I know what that outcome will be - very expensive. It's difficult to explain programming.

Guide

Hi Orbital,

You are correct in what the end result will be EXPENSIVE. That is the one thing I never understood when it came to some business people. Why on earth would you want to cut corners when it comes to growing your business. In the end, you wind up paying more than you would have if you would have just done it the right way to begin with.

I hope that you get an answer to help both of you out. Let us know what happened in the end. Good luck!

Melinda

orbital config Tracker

Hello,

Well to conclude my posting, there was no answer, LOL, there was no progress, nothing has changed. So what I have done was called up the other member of the band and convinced him he should come back to the band, he hesitated, and I had to buy him a beer to sit and talk, but I got him to do it on the condition of the other member (the Drummer) to come also. In the result of that the drummer would not come back no matter what, so know body wanted to play together again, which puts me back to the original position once again. So I figured why not a second attempt - I called him up again and explained I think it is very strange that just because the drummer will not come back - why would you not come back if you can make money? and that I find that odd if you have no issues and like to play, (as he has no gigs anyways) why not come back. so it worked yippy!!! so I am leaving off at, and working on us meeting and discussing how he will link the web site to the other sites so they all work properly again. (He would not teach me how to do it though, I understand that but kinda crappy). I am finding out these clients have no plan of action, (there music is pretty good though, I do believe in it) as we know in small business if we don't have a plan of action things don't work (typically) and become very expensive doing the wrong things, for everybody. I have talked about this to the owner of the group/song writer and he knows more then I do, type of guy - so I try a couple of times to get through to some people but after so long this gig may go down for me. This is why you have to do what your contract says if you have one, nothing really extra for some clients, and even know you want to help sometimes you will get ripped off for doing the right things. I have put some time into this, and funds are at a promising stages, but promises don't pay my bills!!! Bbbllllaaaaa. At least I got things moving along though and doing the good deed I did, for the group and the members,  it will come back to me double some day.