Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 1:20 PM by Moderator Rebecca

Do you trust reviews from Yelp?

seoservicepro Ranger

While Yelp is reporting what they call bad behavior by businesses paying for reviews, they've opened the door to a backlash about their own bad

behavior. Can Yelp Reviews Be Trusted? | WebProNews

• Re: Do you trust reviews from Yelp?
          Guide

Well now that is an interesting one now isn't it? Personally, that effects my view of a "trusted" source. There are too many other sources out there to make such a big mistake. Guess only time will tell.

Melinda

ctsmiami Adventurer

if you notice show more bad reviews then good reviews.

All my seven goods reviews are blocked by yelp comp. only show the one bad review I guess because is more stats on web site.

let's put are review on YELP.

orbital config Tracker

Yep even a couple of bad reviews is not going to hurt you (for someone that knows business and someone that knows how the internet works) The bigger the company the bigger the funds the bigger the good reviews. Even on my link In profile I am endorsed for web design and I have never done it, others have send for me to endorse them and I have no clue whom they are but I can endorse them letting others know they are good at what they do, very confusing, not knowing or even used there service. If you get someone that feels because you have a bad review and they don't want to use your service it's probably better because there looking for something else then what you can provide. Most likely they will be disappointed going soulfully off there reviews. Like they always say talk to your friends, post online for feed back for the people that actually used there service. You have to do what the words actually say, check them out, that means go to there yelp, linked In, Facebook, website, goggle them, and any other site you feel they would be on. not just one dudes option on them. If someone was looking for a service and serious about it they would do that.

AngelBiz Tracker

Like all online reviews Yelp is susceptible to manipulation in terms of both good and bad reviews. I have heard about owners posting good reviews along with their competitors posting bad ones. However, with the use of technology they will be able to bring out true reviews from the noise. As with anything else users of these reviews need to take them with a grain of salt and do their homework before making final decision.

Robin Williams Scout

With consumer-based reviews are getting more importance, businesses use Yelp's reviews as online reputations. Positive reviews can help drive profits through search engine optimization and may impact your rankings. At the same time, you must know how to deal with bad reviews.

ctsmiami Adventurer

complaint Dept. email me.jpgIf the thought of throngs of Yelp users now armed with review-ready mobile devices makes you nervous, it’s worth noting that 79% of the reviews on Yelp are three stars or higher, and there are more 4 and 5 star reviews written than 1 star reviews. If you’re tempted to solicit reviews from mobile phone users, keep in mind that most people on Yelp don’t write reviews, they read them, and solicited reviews may get picked up by our automated review algorithm. Beyond that, the best way to build a strong reputation on Yelp is to provide great customer service, and let your reviews build organically. In other words, it’s business as usual.

David White Wayfarer

Numerous studies have shown that consumers do trust and value reviews. Although this may be chaining a tiny bit due to all the bad press Yelp has gotten lately. However, I think it is really important for businesses to realize that a single negative review is not the end of the world. In the long run it can make your review profile even more believable to customers.

Moderator Rebecca Guide

You make an excellent point, David.  As prospective clients and customers are becoming more savvy to the widening assortment of online review sites, it is important as a small business owner not to lament over one bad review.  Most consumers are using a variety of sites other than, or in addition to Yelp, such as epinions and Angie's List, to name a few.

As a consumer, I am just as wary of a business with nothing but positive reviews, as I am a business with many negative reviews.  Much like buying a new car, I am willing to "shop around" other review sites to get a balanced picture.  

Cheers,

-Rebecca