Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 1:36 PM by transcribe

Do you still think Press releases are for SEO?

seoservicepro Ranger

3D Press Release CrosswordShort answer. They aren't. I've never sold press releases to clients as part of their search engine optimization. However, for a long time, there have been a lot of people using them as a link building tool, using keyword-rich anchor text, submitting to a ton of press release distribution sites, etc.

Sound familiar? That's article marketing. Just calling the article a press release doesn't make it so. I've always advised clients to spend money elsewhere if the goal is to improve SEO and reserve press releases for when you have a real newsworthy announcement to make.

See this post I made March 08, 2010 called Press Releases &; Social Media & and News Sources

Now read this announcement from SEO Round Table. There's a video, but it's 10 minutes long. Reading it only takes a couple of minutes.

Here's another from PerformInsider.com

I know it sounds like an "I told you so" post, but most good SEOs have always advised the same strategy. There are a lot of ways to improve your SEO results. Press Releases are just not one of them. If you get any SEO value from them, it's a side benefit, not the main purpose.

However, Press Releases are a great promotional tool that can get you a lot of targeted traffic and attention. It is and always was the purpose for doing press releases.

What do you think? Agree or Disagreee?