Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 1:10 PM by Moderator Melinda

Internet reviews - Good and Bad!

Robert Diffenderfer Scout

I have two lead generating websites that allow customers to leave reviews after the job is completed. In two years I have had almost a perfect 5.0 out of 5.0 rating with one 4.9. Here is the problem. I had one customer lately that held my review like a hostage to try to get free work from us. At first we were going to help her but then her list of things she wanted became ridiculous so we refused. She gave us a 1.8 rating that was full of lies and misinformation. These websites refuse to remove ratings because they say the consumer is entitled to there opinion and it was her word against ours. However, we were able to get one of them to see through her lies and remove it but I am still stuck with the other. She was so furious that her review was removed she found every place she could think of to post a bad review and file a complaint including the BBB and consumer protection. She is spreading lies and misinformation everywhere and I can't seem to stop her without spending a lot of money on a lawyer which by the way I have contacted. I have decided that my course of action will be to politely respond to her review and move forward. Pursuing this would probably cost 5-10 times what the job was worth!

What would you do?

• Re: Internet reviews - Good and Bad!
          AngelBiz Tracker

Robert - Welcome to the free-for-all online world. If it makes you feel any better every company has gone through a similar experience at some point.

I think you made a mistake by asking the initial websites to remove the review. If you had let the review stand your customers would have seen the true intention behind the bad review. When you have 50 positive reviews to go with one negative one it is not hard to see how your business is doing.

Now that the issue has already become larger your best course of action is to politely respond to it with your own facts. Just do it once and don't get into back and forth argument. This will only hurt you more. You can choose to not even do that and let her go about putting bad reviews. As I said having just one bad review against 50 other good ones will not do you harm.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Harry

Thanks Angel...like they say "the first cut is the deepest". Well I think this was the case for us because we gave them so much for so little and to come back at us the way they did was just disheartening. We are going to reply politely to the one that is still there and move forward. I am busier then ever so I don't believe they are going to have that big of an impact plus I have had several reviews since then and it has pushed this almost to the second page. the reason the other review was removed was because she advertised a competitors website and that is against the website policy...

Thanks

Guide

Hi Robert,

This is indeed a tough place to be in and I couldn't agree more with AngelBiz. One bad review against many positive ones won't make a difference at all.  If my business was doing well regardless of that one bad review, I don't know if I would pursue legal action. The more attention you give that client, the more you fuel their fury I think.

Good luck!

Melinda

1 of 1 people found this helpful

I do not intend to take any legal action at this point but I am getting prepared in case she does. My lawyer says she doesn't have a case and I don't believe they talked to a lawyer yet because I have not received anything. However, knowing these two....I think this is just the beginning...

Guide

It is good that you are prepared for anything when it comes to an unsatisfied client, but its been my experience that people like this either loose steam very quickly when they don't get the attention they crave (which that is all this is) or they find another victim unfortunately. If your attorney told you she doesn't have a case, her attorney told her the same most likely. Hopefully this will be the last time you will hear about that unfortunate situation.

Melinda