Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2013 1:43 PM by Moderator Ilona

Hiring

Moderator Ilona Ranger

What are criteria you look at when hiring new employees? Do background and age come into play?

Ilona

• Re: Hiring
          LUCKIEST Guide

Moderator llona, That is a very open and broad question.

The goal when hiring is always getting the RIGHT person in the RIGHT job.

YES background checks and sometimes age comes into play.

The size of the company and the number of employees also play a role

Start by defining the job, identifying the tasks and the skills needed.

There is SO MUCH more.

Good luck, LUCKIEST

Guide

I agree with Luckiest. There are many things to consider when hiring.  It is not as simple as checking with the previous employer and references. I look for assertiveness and work ethic as well. Personality can be a huge make or break for me as an employer. I usually prefer employees that have more of an extrovert character. I think it is important to know that your employee won't hesitate to ask for help if needed.

it_recruiters Adventurer

Managers tend to fall into the same traps again and again when hiring
              employees. To eliminate those errors hiring managers can greatly improve their
              results by following a few simple rules:

1. Know exactly what you want in an employee. What skills, values,
              traits and habits are shared by your best employees? Don't settle for less than exactly what meets your needs.

2. Make sure that they share a value system similar to yours. Cultural
              conflicts and value differences are the leading causes of employee failure. For
              example, if you highly value quality do not hire someone that wants to get
              the job done as quickly as possible. If you value dependability, make sure that
              is evident in the individual you choose for the position.

3. Hire the best and smartest. If you want your business to improve you need
              better, smarter people than you now have on the payroll. In many situations
              that means hiring people smarter than you.

4. Don't trust the resume. Verify the facts to the best of your ability.
              Hire a professional to do the interviewing unless you are skilled and
              comfortable with the process.  Eliminating one hiring mistake will more
              than pay for the professional interviewing.

5. Use high quality assessments to get at the core issues. Assessments are
              predictors of peoples'  behaviors, motivators, skills, and natural
              talents. In the hands of a skilled professional the use of assessments can
              greatly improve the quality of new hires. In most cases the cost for the
              assessment products will be less than the weekly salary of the person you seek
              to hire.

Dallas IT Recruiters

koln123 Tracker

Using a professional to interview was mentioned.  While I don't know all the details, there is a lot to be said for not being able to figure out well enough what you are getting in an employee if you have not done enough interviewing.   The nervous new college graduate who does not interview that well ends up being great, while the polished person doesn't pan out as well as you thought they would - or vice verse. 

In as many cases as possible, age should not be considered.  There may be reasons that are a consequence of a certain age which will cause a person to fall out of bounds, but not the core issue of age.  SBLD

Moderator Ilona Ranger

Great points koln123, and you are right, some people do not interview well but are rare gems and other interview great but do not live up to expectations. Also shouldn't it depend on the size of your business, and how close you or your managers work with your employees, to determine who does the interview?

Ilona