Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 1:51 PM by Moderator Ilona

Dress-Code

Moderator Ilona Ranger

Summer is here and we can and will see drastic changes in wardrobe. As a business owner what is you 'Dress-Code', do you have one in place and do you enforce it?

Some places of business can be very lax with their dress-codes, this can and will lead to embarrassing and awkward situations, what are your thoughts on this issue?

Ilona

• Re: Dress-Code
          Moderator Ilona Ranger

After just visiting a restaurant where some of the employees dressed less than professional, one has to wonder how much business is lost do to the way these employees dress and if there even is a dress-code?

Would you return to a business where the employees serve you in drooping pants, unbuttoned shifts and severally stained semi uniforms?

Ilona

Jim Peters Tracker

You are speaking of drooping pants, stained clothes and the like. This is not about a particular way of dressing but of being sloppy and ill kempt.Irrespctive of the type of apparel, it has to be neat and clean, unoffensive to the eye and suitable for the occasion. As long as it is, dress code is not a must. It is a good thing to have but not de rigeur.

Moderator Ilona Ranger

The other day I went to a department store, I was helped by one of the store managers and have to say the person was very nice and polite.

A few minutes later the same store manager attempted to help someone else when that customer started getting real loud to the point of almost screaming. The other customer did not like that the store manager had on a short sleeve shirt (no big issue right) well the short sleeve shirt showed off tattoos on both arms down to the wrist, the customer also did not like that the manager had facial tattoos and I guess what made it worse was that the manager was a young woman. (Customer seemed to be in his late forties early fifties)

I have to say the young woman was very professionally, never getting angry about the name calling or anything, she stayed calm (a lot calmer than I would have been) she tried to calm the customer down and still help him. The customer finally left vowing never to return.

Now my question to you all, how do you feel about what happened here? How would you feel about being helped, served, taken care off by someone that has visible tattoos? Would you feel better if she was wearing a long-sleeve shirt and covered her facial tattoo with makeup or would it make a difference if she had been a man?

Ilona

Jim Peters Tracker

Well first impressions do count. Maybe I would not be comfortable with her in the beginning but I am sure after interacting with her, I would not carry any biases in my mind. Having said that, it would be better for all concerned, if she wore full sleeved clothes in the store so as to not offend the customers.

jaynorth Tracker

Well for me it depends. If it is a regular office day I like to wear a cotton shirt of light shade that suits my light brown pants. If I have to attend a meeting it will be some definitely an impressive appearence with plain full shirts with cuffs and dark blue/black trousers. Well pressed.

Guide

To me that situation had nothing to do with the tattoos and everything to do with the rude customer. Maybe its a good thing the customer won't be returning to the store. I for one don't really care the way someone is dressed, as long as they are knowledgable and can help me with what I need at that point and time. Unfortunately, not everyone views this in the same way.

Melinda

Rahul Alim Adventurer

Each company owner should determine how they want their staff to dress based on industry.

Restaurants, i would certainly have a common dress code suitable to the target audience you want to attract. Each position has some difference from the hostess (nice dress), GM - should suit up, owner - dress well, wait staff, bartenders, etc.  As a customer, I really like knowing who works at the place versus the wild west of guessing the staff.  It also helps creating a Brand image for the restaurant which is crucial with how fierce the competition is especially for non franchise, non equity group owners. 

I run a digital marketing agency - we work hard, long hours, a lot of the work is behind the scenes so we like to be comfortable - jeans, T's/collar shirts.  If we have any clients in the office we have a change of clothes on site or if we know they are coming we all dress well in suits, cuffs, etc.    Most importantly - we are very cordial with our clients and to each other. 

The end result is the owner or manager needs to hold everyone accountable for their work habits.  The dress code needs to be clearly outlined to all members.  IE: Business Professional M-TH and casual Fridays and so on.   That is the only way to be taken serious, gain respect, and create a clear path to success for the employees. 

Cheers,

Rahul Alim