Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2013 1:53 PM by Moderator Cath

Starting your own brand...

whitleyks Wayfarer

Hello I am interested in obtaining information in regards to starting my own brand/photography business. I have assumed the business name, but am a bit lost when it comes to the next steps. Please share your thoughts & advice.....Thank you:)

• Re: Starting your own brand...
          Guide

Hi Whitley,

First question I have is, do you have an accountant? That would be your first step in opening any business. They can help  get you started and answer any questions you may have. You need to register your company name with the state (accountant can help you with that). Then you need to open up a bank account. Check into business insurance (not sure what kind of insurance a photographer would need if any). And poof, you have an up and running business on paper at least.

Hope this was helpful.

Melinda

whitleyks Wayfarer

Hello Melinda. Thank you for your respone. I do not have an accountant, but I have already assumed my business name. I have no idea how much it would cost to start up my own brand & photoghraphy business. I already own my own camera and a few assesories. I understand I can not financially afford to rent my own space for a studio at this very moment, but I plan on working my way up until I am able to do so. The studio space isnt my biggest obsticale right now, obtaining the funds to purchase the remaming equiptment I need & having samples of my ideas made is my biggest obsticale at the moment. I was denied a small business loan through our bank, do you know of any ways I may possibly apply for a small loan or locate a sponsour? Thanks.

Moderator Berta Guide

Hi Whitley,

I would also check with a business attorney to make sure you do everything right. And maybe even with the SBA to see if they have any further suggestions or ideas that can help you.

Best wishes!

~Berta