Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2013 9:09 AM by Moderator Jim

Internet Sales Tax

Moderator Berta Guide

I've seen there has been some discussions on Internet Sales Tax lately. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the subject. How would it affect your business? Do you think your customers would be OK with being charged sales tax on the internet where they currently aren't charged?

~Berta

• Re: Internet Sales Tax
          ClearlyFiltered Adventurer

Looks to have a provision to exclude companies doing less than $1,000,000 in online sales in a particular state.

It's hard enough already to figure out the tax rates for online sales within your own state! Thank you CA Board of Equalization...

It's supposed to help the brick & mortar shop owners compete with the online sales giants. But in the end it's just MORE regulation and more taxation. Neither of which I'm a fan of! But that's just me!

Guide

Hi ClearlyFiltered,

It sounds like a really good idea. Question is, will it really impact the smaller business man as it is supposed to. Many people who already shop on line do so because of the convenience and not so much because of the "great deal". We are all aware that you must pay for convenience in one way or another. I myself would prefer to shop on line instead of physically sitting in my car, even if it does cost a little more. Many people do not consider the gas and time. Which means you actually spend the same amount. This is my fear. It wont make much of an impact and what is left? Just what you stated, more tax and regulation.

Melinda

Moderator Jim Ranger

For me, it's changing some of the ways I shop. Amazon, for example, is already adding tax in. I'm a little hesitant to direct purchase from them because there's no estimate of the taxes until after the fact. Sometimes a "great deal online" is no longer such a great deal compared to local when you factor in their taxes and shipping.

Jim