Post a new topic
    19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 1:24 PM by kevhan

What are some easy ways to do payroll and taxes?

thomas30 Newbie
      I'm finally tired of paying people to do my payroll and messing it up!! Can someone tell me some simple ways that I might try doing payroll myself? What has worked for you?? I understand most of it but I think I'm afaid that I will miss something!!
        • Re: What are some easy ways to do payroll and taxes?
          DomainDiva Ranger

Are the people messing up payroll employees or outside payroll services?

I have used PayChex before and was very impressed with the service.
            thomas30 Newbie
            They outside the business......I have used Paychecks as well but I am trying to reduce the cost of doing payroll..
              citskgym Newbie

we use ADP and they aren't very good. We regularly have problems with staff not paid the correct sums of money. For business operating in multiple states (with varying tax withholdings etc), they have to be very closely monitored to ensure it's correct. Very time consuming
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                angelilla Newbie
                In my experience and Opinion the easy way is to use Quickbooks, I use it for my trucking company and it is very easy, and quick.

Angela
                  Botanyboy Newbie
                  I just purchased TKT Payroll on Ebay...you can also download from their website...inexpensive too...like $12...
                  I haven't actually used it yet but it appears to be just what a small biz needs...
                  They recommend using NEBS checks but I have Deluxe sending me samples too...

Highly recommend you write down all the forms you need to file AS WELL AS when you need file and Where...

Check your state department of revenue web site too...
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    Botanyboy Newbie
                    I have the same reservation BUT failure is learning albeit the hard way...
                    I'm trying TKT software...you can download from their website or Ebay
                      puzzleman Tracker
                      How about putting some info in the Profile section!!

How many employees are we talking about? Do you offer any payroll impacted benefits (401k, vacation, insurance)?

I have from 9 to 16 part time people with no benefits on payroll depending on the time of the year. I use Quickbooks. It is great. The payroll prints out from the numbers that I give it. Reminds me when payroll tax payments are due and prints out the forms as well. If you're interested in this, talk to Luckiest. He is a Quickbooks pro.
                        Centauri Newbie
                        I do my personal banking with bank of america, and decided to use them for my business account as well. They have a payroll feature when doing online banking, it cost about $15/mo. I have a new company and am still working on my first customer, so I haven't used the payroll feature yet, but that what I plan to use. I hope it works well, might work for you.
                          LUCKIEST Guide
                          30, Welcome to this web site. Tell us more. Go to Members page, and add
                          a few words about your business. Tell us about your business??, Where you are located??
                          How long you have been in business?? and how many employees??.
                          I know of the GREATEST payroll service, Great low prices and Very reliable.
                          I am NOT PART OF THE payroll service, just a friend with NO interest in his BUSINESS
                          Email me at " pdeig@juno.com " for more info. Please include a phone number.
                          LUCKIEST
                            grantsforce Adventurer
                            I'm not sure about the size of your company/business - when I first started my business I used a spreadsheet created with the help of the folks at the IRS and the IL Dept of Revenue. Worked like a charm. You may try taking assistance from the IRS even if you decide to go with a Payroll provider.
                              MagPublisher Wayfarer
                              B of A has a pretty good payroll product. You can manage the payroll online yourself for $15 a month, much cheaper than ADP or Paychex. And since you input it, you have total control over making sure your employees are paid corrrectly.
                                Lighthouse24 Ranger

Interesting thread . . . when members of this community have asked for recommendations on other do-it-yourself options (e.g., packages for basic legal forms and contracts, website development, income tax preparation, etc.), the responses leaned heavily toward, "Don't do it yourself -- hire a professional!" Yet, the consequences of payroll mistakes seem more severe, and the opportunities to make them seem to abound (miss a deadline, key-in data incorrectly, mishandle child support or a garnishment, miscalculate overtime, disclose something illegally, or misplace anything from the last six years and there's a problem.).

According to Michael Savage, a tax veteran who is often featured in Entrepreneur and Fortune Small Business, three of the five most common mistakes that get small business owners into "very serious legal, tax, and financial trouble" are payroll related. Payroll is also one of the few administrative functions that has to be done on time no matter what -- if the payroll clerk is ill, the computer crashes, the database is corrupted, or (as one of my firms experienced last spring) a tornado takes the roof off the building -- you still have to run payroll.

I'm a strong advocate of the DIY approach for small business owners, and have taken some criticism in other threads for not outsourcing certain functions. Payroll is one for which I would use a service rather than do myself until the business grows to the point of being able to use an enterprise management suite (software that integrates everything -- payroll, timekeeping, accounting, purchasing, inventory management, work management, order processing, billing, collections, document management, etc.). In my view, a couple of the services mentioned in this thread (i.e, Paychex, BoA) really ARE the "easy ways to do payroll and taxes" -- as opposed to doing it yourself. Best wishes.
                                  bonnie1110 Wayfarer
                                  Hi Thomas,

I understand your frustration with your current payroll outsourcing company and handling the situation yourself seems like the best solution. Although the payroll outsourcing company should be eliminating your time spent on payroll processing, it seems that it has become a hassle and sometimes doing it yourself can become very time consuming and bothersome as well.

The best suggestion I have for you is to partner with a payroll company that gives you the flexibility to be involved in every step of the process. The payroll company should be partnering with you to make the payroll process successful which helps to eliminate a lot of the issues that arise with payroll. The payroll company should be able to set you up with the option of inputting the hours yourself to insure that it is entered correctly if this what you would like to do. You should also be provided with access to reports and employee payroll records at anytime that would be password protected. Your employees should have the option of Direct Deposit or paper checks and they should be able view their paystubs online as well access their own records to make address changes if they need to. The payroll company should also be able to handle your quarterly payroll tax processing and send you email reminders of when they are due. You should be involved in every step of the way. ADP, Paychex and many others, charge you through the roof and do not provide the type of personal customer service that you need. With that being said, I have the solution to your Hassles and Headaches of payroll, taxes, and many other business services. Our standard of service is always higher than our price. Contact me today at lavonne.clark@acebusinessservices.com It would be a pleasure to speak to you concerning your needs. I guarantee that partnering with Ace Business Services will be beneficial to your company. Information is also provided on our website, which is currently under construction.

I look forward to meeting you,

Lavonne Clark
                                  Ace Business Services
                                    b2bkatherine Newbie
                                    Check out www.paycycle.com -- it'll take you thru all the steps of doing payroll, it's cheap, fast to set up and you don't have to prepay your payroll like many other payroll services.
                                      Mybizfiler Adventurer
                                      HI,

Payroll processing is a tedious work maintaining records and filing the payroll taxes on time, and it cost you by deploying manpower to handle payroll processing. With over 80,000 client base, we are proud to call ourselves end-to-end service providers of Incorporation, Accounting, Payroll Processing, & Business Consulting services. At ICS (mybizfiler.com), we, at a very competitive price (1/4th of charges a typical CPA charges) take care of your complete payroll processing and also provide with other services listed above.

Below is the scope of our Payroll Processing Services:

• Ø Computerized checks
                                      • Ø W2's and 1099's
                                      • Ø Services like 401K etc.
                                      • Ø Tax Payments and Filing
                                      • Ø Guaranteed accurate
                                      • Ø Direct Deposit
                                      • Ø 940/941 forms
                                      • Ø Handwritten checks

What makes our clients comfortable?

• Ø Quality
                                      • Ø Timely services
                                      • Ø Support services available round the clock ( Email, Voice, Chat)
                                      • Ø Overall, Peace of Mind

You can visit ICS @ http://www.mybizfiler.com/. For further information please contact us at sales@mybizfiler.com or reach our 24/7 call center 203-437-4083. We will soon be enabling 24/7 online chat for our clients. Read some of our posts on our Blogsite- www.mybizfiler.wordpress.com

Disclaimer: ICS does not offer legal services or legal advice, but only generic information on legal subjects. ICS is not an attorney or law firm and not a substitute for an attorney or law firm
                                        bpmsolutions Newbie
                                        We signed up with Quicken and they do it for about $35 a month. I had a client that used Paychex, but they gave his employee a 20% raise that he didn't know about for two years! When we tried to find out who approved it, they didn't know!
                                            greg8160 Newbie
                                            The common reason for mistakes by a payroll company is because of the information supplied to them, I know of a consulting company that has excellent advice on employee issues, taxes, payroll and most company related issues. this company specializes in unemployment claims filed by employee's. and has an excellent payroll service. the company is S.I.R./S.E.M. Shaw Investigation & Research. / Shaw Employee Management.
                                            kevhan Adventurer
                                            check out bookkeeperworld.com