Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2013 9:34 AM by Moderator Melinda

Self promotion or brand promotion

austin1 Adventurer

I have an opinion on this but I want to hear yours before I share mine. What resonates more with you when you’re reading posts on social share sites, self-promoting articles or brand promoting articles? Why? And when is it appropriate to promote your brand or business compared to yourself/expertise?

• Re: Self promotion or brand promotion
          joshuawilson Scout

According to me, both are important. Brand and self promotion are equally important.

A personal brand is something you work on many different levels to build. It is first important to know yourself better and then by understanding what needs to be  communicated to your target audience.

Self-promotion is also extremely important part of building your brand because if no one knows of your accomplishments or the company you work for, then how are they going to do business with you?

Guide

Hi Austin1,

I also agree with Joshua. They both go hand and hand. While I usually look for quality, service can make or break a repeat customer. I believe the only way you could get away with promoting your brand is if you already have a reputation established which takes years to do.

Melinda

austin1 Adventurer

Thanks Melinda and Joshuawilson, I guess I get frustrated with the over marketing of company over-self. I'm more interested in people, the expertise they carry and what they can add to the conversation and far less about why I need there products.

itaye Wayfarer

This is a great question Austin 1.

I think that it depends on the medium and the context. Both are important of course and when it comes to small businesses in many cases the business is you, so it can be complex. Maybe the best thing is to do both so people could discover your business but still able to see who stands behind it.

joshuawilson Scout

Hi Austin,

According to me, self promotion is considered to be more important rather than brand promotion. It is necessary to build your self image first. Once a self image is made in front of your customers then they will automatically go ahead with your brands.

Guide

Hi ,

The only way I can see that theory working is if your brand has something unique about it that no other has to offer and/or it is very low in cost and/or is extremely convenient. Otherwise, how do you create a self imagine on a brand that does not meet the average clients quality expectations? Lets face it, we have all purchased something that we thought was going to be great because the promotion aspect was superior and then very quickly realized that the quality is not what we expected. This caused me to never purchase that item again or frequent that establishment.