Post a new topic
    18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 11:03 PM by chrismarklee

Getting an Edge Over Your Competitors?

Carl Grothaus Adventurer

In the competitive business arena you don't have to work hard but also smart enough in order to get an edge over your competitors. One may follow various ways to get to the top notch but what about the steps that would lead one to the creamy layer entrepreneur and be the leader in your business?? Share your views on that..

• Re: Getting an Edge Over Your Competitors?
          Moderator Berta Guide

HI Carol, great question!

Can't wait to see our members answers. Do you have any suggestions on the steps  on would take?

~Berta

itaye Wayfarer

At the end of the day you need to stand out. I read a book by Seth Godin "Free prize inside" He has other books as well on the subject (I don't remember the names) also he has many videos on YouTube and TED.com.

koln123 Tracker

Ask the customer at the outset what they are trying to accomplish without sounding like a sales script.  Try to find out in a generic way how much revenue the customer may generate if they get done what they are aiming for.  This can be important for both parties because you need to know how much revenue they can earn in comparison to the cost of your product or service.  If their profit margins are too small for your service, you can be honest and admit it may not be match.

If their revenues far exceed the cost of your product or service, point that out in a positive way.   Be available outside of normal hours.  As mentioned by others here, think on behalf of their goals (not just yours) while speaking with them, even if it takes you in a somewhat different direction than your product some of the time you are working with the prospect.  This builds trust of you on their part that you are an honest broker for them.  You will stand out from the customer reps, the overly aggressive "just want to close this" types they can sense a mile away.   You will build loyal customers, many will come back to you later and refer others to you. SBLD

goldenfs Adventurer

This is a very general question and I could probably write a book on this, but I will just give you one of hundreds of tips.  First off, do you have an online marketing campaign set up for your business?  If you don't, here is a step by step tutorial on how to set up an effective online marketing campaign which will increase your sales. 

By the way, my company is Golden Financial Services and I am the CEO.

Having the right online presence can definitely put you ahead of your competitors.   Ensure to write compelling and helpful content.  Don't sell, but rather help people and answer questions that would add value to your community.

Here is an example of some high quality work that my company did, that I know my competitors didn't do.

Have you ever heard of the Fair Credit Reporting Act?  It is basically an Act that protects all of our rights in regard to credit.  It is confusing and over 80 pages long. 

My company summarized that act in a few pages making it easy to understand.  We gave this summary tool to the public for free.   This brought us thousands of new visitors and helped us to get that competitive edge over our competitors.  Here it is.

Another example of something we did that gave us a huge edge on our competitors is this:

The Federal Reserve has complicated debt statistics and reports that few people understand.  My company took these reports and summarized them on one page.  Now anyone can visit this page and learn the current debt statistics in the U.S. in a matter of minutes. 

Take these ideas and incorporate them into your business.  Is there some complicated reports relevant to your business that you can summarize for the public?

I would love to talk more if anyone has further questions.

chrismarklee Scout

Focus on your objectives do not worry about what the competitors are doing. I can control only my actions. Right now I am  sending messages of friends of friends to add me as a friend on Facebook. I am getting ready for a big Facebook marketing campaign. .Focusing on your stuff is a full time job.

Chris

Owner Cel Financial Services  

IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer

Registered bonded California CTEC Tax Preparer 

Please visit my website for all your Fillmore Income Tax needs.

http://www.taxprepfillmore.com/

Robin Williams Tracker

Online businesses are getting more and more competitive these days. Know your competitors well with their activities. Make a strategy and add what they are doing and something extra to give you an edge over them. Joining new communities and forums will give you ideas.

gorato Adventurer

I agree with all of you. Also would like to add customers are spending more time in the mobile and tablets buying products and services. It is important to be on top of the new technology. I would suggest to talk to mobile development companies about how your business can be compatible with tablets and mobile phones. May be your customers are not able to order your products and services from mobiles and tablets and you are not able to capture that market. I know lot of family and frens that does not own a laptop/desktop these days, they just own a tablet or a mobile phone.

Like all business hosts a website, there is trend that your business might need Mobile Apps. Development of Apps are not expensive and time consuming. Please contact me or email me at karvika@goratoworks.com to talk about how building a App is a win win situation for you and your client.

As per Venturebeat.com " Only 20 percent of American consumers’ time on mobile devices is spent on the web. A massive majority, 80 percent, is spent in apps: games, news, productivity, utility, and social networking apps"

chrismarklee Scout

On Facebook, you need to focus on your targeted potential customers. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are the best days for Facebook. Saturday and Sunday are the worse. I focus on locals. I am sending messages to locals to add me as a friend. I do not want to get in trouble with Facebook for requesting an add and that person gets upset.

I keep a list in excel who I have send messages. I do not sent double messages. I only do this on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Chris

Owner Cel Financial Services  

IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer

Registered bonded California CTEC Tax Preparer 

Please visit my website for all your Fillmore Income Tax needs.

http://www.taxprepfillmore.com/