Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 1:36 PM by Kyle Penland

What are best ways to fund a faith-based radio program?

growingglo Wayfarer

Will banks consider sponsoring or awarding a grant to a faith-based nonprofit for a radio program designed to encourage youth to stay in school?

• Re: What are best ways to fund a faith-based radio program?
          Moderator Berta Guide

Hi growingglo and welcome to the community!

Great question and very noble and honorable cause. In listening to the radio, I have heard a lot of the Faith-based stations ask for donations from listeners and local businesses to help keep them afloat.

You have come to a great place to get input though. Can anyone help with ideas for funding?

~Berta

deltacredit2013 Adventurer

In a word- No.  Faith-based organizations are typically not the direction banks want to go and grants really don't exist the way people think they do.  I have 15 years in banking, and my experience tells me that you are going to want to look elsewhere or change your approach.  You would be better off selling advertising during the radio program to organizations that could benefit from the exposure- maybe a local community college, a church, a chamber of commerce trying to push an education committee.

Good luck.

growingglo Wayfarer

Thanks Michael for sharing your banking experience. I wondered about the

faith-based approach.

We know that hurting youth can choose to be encouraged with the Scriptures

while incarcerated. Our adult ex-felons know the Bible. We aim to redirect

youth, however, before they get in trouble.

Working toward change,

Gloria Shell Mitchell, Author

The Garbage Man's Daughter: Letting Go of Shame,

Letting Go of SECRETS

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Michael Holmes <

Moderator Cath Guide

Good for you in your endeavors!  Since you are faith-based and are reaching out to youth to encourage them to stay in school, why don't you visit the churches in your area and see if they will stand with you in offering some sponsor help?  Perhaps you could barter/partner with them - mention of their youth activities and they would support your program financially.

Please let us know how things are going with you and your program.

Cath

phanio Pioneer

Banks don't provide grants but banks will lend to non-profit organizations but they still have to pass underwriting meaning that you have to have some income to repay the loan.  As an ex commercial loan officer, I have made many loans to churches and the like.  We based our underwriting on the organization's continued revenue - their donations and tithing - as well as pledges to raise money to help support the need the loan is for.

Regarding grants, you might want to approach your city government and see if they would be willing to solicit a grant on your behalf.  Talk with your local community development office - these government entities have the ability to solicit grants from your state and the federal government and then pass those funds on to you.

Lastly, if your program fits the mission of private foundations - in what they are trying to achieve - they may be willing to fund your program. There are a lot of private foundations who mission it is to help youths - approach them to see if they would grant you funds.

Business Money Today

http://www.businessmoneytoday.com/

Kyle Penland Adventurer

Don't forget Crowdfunding options also...There are lots of websites dedicated to crowdfunding ideas like yours...That may be a possible route for you.

Guide

Hi Growingglo,

Where are you located?

I would also try to contact local youth centers like the YMCA, mentoring programs, halfway houses, Covenant House, Catholic Charities, etc. which all work hand in hand to try and get the youth off of the streets. Social services might be able to help with this idea as well. You may even try contacting the local police or correctional centers in the area. Make sure you have a demo of at least one of your radio shows on hand to let them listen to what it is you would like to accomplish. Invite some of these groups to your show and give them "advertising" air time or just simply sell air time in order for you to have your show funded. It's a good idea and get it out there to anyone you can. Exposure will be your key (I believe anyway).

Good luck and please tell us how you are doing with your idea. After all, the youth is our future.

Melinda