Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 1:11 PM by Moderator Berta

How To Sell Advertising?

heartlandmedia Wayfarer

It's one thing when a broadcaster has to try to sell advertising for a terrestrial AM/FM radio station or a radio program, but unfortunately, I am in a whole different ballpark: my media group is involved in Internet radio and I have to try to get advertisers interested enough to purchase advertising for either one (or both) of our two Internet radio stations or any of the three radio programs our group has in our broadcast syndication division.

Sure, my damage is only $55 a month, including stream licensing, a paid server and a broadcast package on Spreaker Radio, but it would be nice to recoup as much as possible to, at bare minimum, break even every month. I'm lucky to even get $2.50 a month by listing my station through RadioLoyalty, but that doesn't even make a dent.

And before anyone tries to say it, NO - quitting the operation as a whole is NOT an option. I've invested six years (will be in August) into this operation and I'm not about to give it all up.

I'm sure there are options out there to help me and HIMN monetize our station websites with web advertising and with advertisements on our web streams, but with limited resources and not a very large list of contacts, I'm not sure where to start.

I would appreciate any help and insight in this matter, because I see some Internet radio stations who do break even or manage to make a profit from advertising.

• Re: How To Sell Advertising?
          Moderator Berta Guide

Hi Jake,

Welcome to the community! You have come to the right place to get advice. We have a lot of members who should be able to give you advice on selling your advertising space. To give us an idea of where you can improve or maybe change things up some, please give us an example of your current marketing sales pitch.

~Berta

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              heartlandmedia Wayfarer

Heartland Internet Media Networks is a established provider of turnkey Internet radio stations and retailer radio networks, radio production and post-production, Internet radio and website advertising, web traffic sales, website design and broadcast syndication services. HIMN also manages two Internet radio stations and serves as a syndicator for three radio programs. We are a part of the fastest growing alternative media which has grown at an astronominal rate. We started up in 2007 with the hopes of expanding further in the constantly growing new media. Our goal is to build a clientele base and earn enough revenue to help our operations expand from a small spare room at home to an established location where we live.

It's not my greatest pitch, considering my marketing experience isn't that great when it comes to getting advertising. I know how to get listeners to tune in to the stations or to a particular show, but I'm not the greatest when it comes to coming up with a marketing sales pitch for potential advertisers.

Moderator Berta Guide

Hi Jake,

Thanks for sharing a sample of your sales pitch with us. While all of the information you give is very valuable and important, I would recommend having that in a pamphlet/flyer that you can leave with the prospective client at your initial meeting. Something you can use to get your foot in the door. When you're doing your actual sales pitch to the client, I think that they would want to hear HOW it's going to benefit them to use your marketing services. What kind of results can they expect to see in the expansion of their business by advertising on your internet radio? Have examples of some clients that have seen success. If you can take your mindset that you have for listeners and channel it to marketing, using the same theories, you just may see some results. The businesses you are marketing to are "listeners". They are listening to you explain why they should be advertising on your internet stations. Basically the same as getting new listeners to your shows. There is a great reason that they should listen to your shows right? Well, there's also a great reason why the businesses should advertise on your radio shows.

I hope that makes sense. I have a tendency to ramble at times.

Does anyone else out there have any advice for Jake?

~Berta

1 of 1 people found this helpful