Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 2:46 PM by Tran Nguyen

Peachtree vs QuickBooks, the integration!

jrahma Wayfarer

Hi,

I would like to ask which one of the above accounting software is better for healthcare industry if I want to have the in-house application integrated with the Peachtree/Quickboos to write the sales entry directly to the accounting software?

and if course, which one is better features wise?

• Re: Peachtree vs QuickBooks, the integration!
          Tran Nguyen Tracker

Dear Jassim,

Welcome to the forum!

To be honest, that is a very tough question without knowing your in-house application and much more details regarding your business setup and tracking. I work with a Home Healthcare company that simply uses excel to track all their insurance billing. But, they also have two locations (locally and oversea) which meant the owners were constantly traveling.

In this situation, it was a necessity for them to have access to their financials at a moment's notice and to be able to work on it when they wanted to. In this particular situation, Quickbook was cheaper and has better financials statements (at least easier to use). Plus, it was a simple import from excel to get all the insurance billing information into the system.

On the other hand, my Physical Rehabilitation client purchased an in-house application to manage their insurance billing and payments. In this particular instance, the system was only compatible with PeachTree (Sage50) and thus, having the system was more of a necessity and drastically easier than overhauling everything for the sake of Quickbooks.

The bottom line, you need to know if your system is compatible with either software (most are adaptable to both), you need to determine the accessibility of the system (PeachTree is notorious for not being reliable when remote or on a server), and how familiar your staff (or you) will be with the ease of usage (Quickbooks is simple, but can be a bit difficult for higher end accounting work like journal entries and such).

Ultimately, it can be either or at this point. If you can provide more information, I can render a better idea.

I hope this helps!

Tran Nguyen

Accountant

PS I forgot to mention. PeachTree has much more functions and is drastically more stable than Quickbooks. However, it has horrible financial statements and limitations when it comes to pulling information. Quickbooks, on the other hand, has great financial reports and adaptability. Sadly, it does lack a sound control system. Thus, making it easy for mistakes to be made if you are tampering with the general ledger.

jrahma Wayfarer

Thanks Tran for your reply.

My in-house application is developed by our team. They can work on the integration for both. What I meant with my question is the comparison between the Peachtree and QuickBooks integration.

Will I get the same features? Will I be able to read and write all type of customer & sales files? etc...

Thanks once again...

Best Regards,Jassim Rahma

http://www.JassimRahma.com

Linkedin - Twitter - Google+

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 23:22:28 -0500

To: jrahma@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - Peachtree vs QuickBooks, the integration!

Small Business Online Community

created by Tran Nguyen in Accounting and Budgeting - View the full discussion

Dear Jassim, Welcome to the forum! To be honest, that is a very tough question without knowing your in-house application and much more details regarding your business setup and tracking. I work with a Home Healthcare company that simply uses excel to track all their insurance billing. But, they also have two locations (locally and oversea) which meant the owners were constantly traveling. In this situation, it was a necessity for them to have access to their financials at a moment's notice and to be able to work on it when they wanted to. In this particular situation, Quickbook was cheaper and has better financials statements (at least easier to use). Plus, it was a simple import from excel to get all the insurance billing information into the system. On the other hand, my Physical Rehabilitation client purchased an in-house application to manage their insurance billing and payments. In this particular instance, the system was only compatible with PeachTree (Sage50) and thus, having the system was more of a necessity and drastically easier than overhauling everything for the sake of Quickbooks. The bottom line, you need to know if your system is compatible with either software (most are adaptable to both), you need to determine the accessibility of the system (PeachTree is notorious for not being reliable when remote or on a server), and how familiar your staff (or you) will be with the ease of usage (Quickbooks is simple, but can be a bit difficult for higher end accounting work like journal entries and such). Ultimately, it can be either or at this point. If you can provide more information, I can render a better idea. I hope this helps! Tran NguyenAccountant

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Small Business Online Community

Start a new discussion in Accounting and Budgeting by email or at Small Business Online Community

Tran Nguyen Tracker

Dear Jassim,

If you have a team, then I would say keep it inexpensive and simplistic -- go with Quickbooks as it is much easier to build plug-ins and features into the software.

Plus, the versatility of the financial reports are always more welcomed than PeachTree. You might also want to consider looking at already existing software that could do this integration for you.

On a different note, Great Plain might be a good idea if you are going the customization route -- it is a Microsoft creation and highly adaptable if you know how to build into it.

I hope this helps!

Tran Nguyen

Accountant

jrahma Wayfarer

Thanks Tran.

It's a great help...

Best Regards,Jassim Rahma

http://www.JassimRahma.com

Linkedin - Twitter - Google+

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 10:48:03 -0500

To: jrahma@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - Peachtree vs QuickBooks, the integration!

Small Business Online Community

created by Tran Nguyen in Accounting and Budgeting - View the full discussion

Dear Jassim, If you have a team, then I would say keep it inexpensive and simplistic -- go with Quickbooks as it is much easier to build plug-ins and features into the software. Plus, the versatility of the financial reports are always more welcomed than PeachTree. You might also want to consider looking at already existing software that could do this integration for you. On a different note, Great Plain might be a good idea if you are going the customization route -- it is a Microsoft creation and highly adaptable if you know how to build into it. I hope this helps! Tran NguyenAccountant

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Small Business Online Community

Start a new discussion in Accounting and Budgeting by email or at Small Business Online Community

Tran Nguyen Tracker

Hi Rahma,

I'm just checking back to see how the integration is taking place.

nstephanie Wayfarer

Hello

I have been having a difficult time to decide what software I should use for my small painting business. I bought PeachTree in 2005 and Quickbook Pro 2010 but never use them. I don't really know how to set up properly. I asked a CPA and he said Quickbook Pro and enhanced Payroll 2013 is easier to use but I went online for research and there are a lot of bad reviews about this software. I don't really know what to pick out so I use Excel to keep track of all expense and income. Please advice for a none experience bookkeeper. i would need to have payroll for 4 to 5 employees, pay State sale tax, Federal tax and unemployment tax as well. Please help. I would appreciate you.

Stephanie

jversiz Wayfarer

Stephanie,

I am a small business owner with less than 10 employees.  I find that no matter what system is employed, you must have some basic understanding of accounting if you are going to keep your own books.

If I were you, I would outsource my payroll and bookkeeping.  There are too many tax laws for one person to keep up with, especially one who already has a full time job running a business.

~ James C.

snguyen799 Wayfarer

Hi James

I learned some basic accounting in College 8 years ago so I will need time to fresh up the knowledge that I haven't used it for that many years.

Thanks for your great advice, but I really want to learn and do it myself as I have been doing it for many years with Excel both for payroll and bookkeeping since we don't have that many employees. I know that it would be significant time saving for these things. Moreover, the business is running just off and on due to the weather so there would not be a lot of work for entering data.

I do appreciate you for the advice. Thanks a lot

Stephanie

jversiz Wayfarer

If you operating system is separate from your accounting system, all you are really talking about is receivables, payables, and financial reporting.

Both systems are capable of processing receivables and payables, but QB has superior financial reporting.  Also, not to mention that Sage does not plan on improving Peach Tree anytime soon.

As a business owner, my job is to minimize variance, meaning ideally my budget should be the same as my actuals for each category (cash, sales, cost of sales, overhead, etc).  The best tool for this is Excel, and QB's financials work great with Excel, but you need someone who can write good financial trend reports for you.

~ James C.

Tran Nguyen Tracker

Dear Stephanie,

I apologies for not replying back to my thread sooner -- I've been out with the flu.

I agree with James with the outsourcing of Payroll and Bookkeeping to a firm that specializes in such services. An accounting firm would not only know how to maximize your earning, but also know how to minimize your taxes.

For example, if you buy T-Shirts for your employees with your company logo on it, should it be classified as Advertising, Uniform, or Misc. Expenses. In reality, it can fit into all three categories. However, a firm would be able to look at your expenses and determine that you are capping out Advertising Expenses and thus, would categorize the purchase into Uniform (assuming if the order isn't too big to be put into Misc. Expenses).

Furthermore, the difficult part of using quickbooks (in my opinion) is setting it up correctly. The majority of the customers that I get are looking for an accountant to scrub and clean their quickbook file so it is back in compliance. The best way around this is to ask an accountant to help you setup your quickbooks and train you in it prior to letting you go at it yourself.

Finally, there is one more vital point to consider. Bookkeeping in general takes a lot of time and it usually just makes better sense to outsource it to a company. Bookkeeping + Payroll is moderately difficult and very time consuming. The time you spend on bookkeeping could be better spent growing your business and generating billable hours.

Thankfully, there are ways around the confusing world of bookkeeping and accounting. Some accounting firms do offer Virtual Desktop where both you and your accountant can access the information. The benefit to this is that the accountant can login from time-to-time and make sure your finances are in compliance and set up correctly. It also presents the opportunity where you can call your accountant with a question such as "I would like to start doing this, but I don't know which account to log it to" and they can log on and give you an answer quick as rain.

I hope this helps.

Tran Nguyen

Accountant