Post a new topic
    25 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2008 7:18 AM by puzzleman

Goodness.

25trekker1 Adventurer
      What is a "good" business?
        • Re: Goodness.
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

Would it be the opposite of an "evil" charity?

Seriously, I think "good" within a business context is defined by thousands of different measures (from profitability to stewardship) and millions of different human perceptions (including everyone from the IRS agent reviewing its tax file to the child of an employee waiting for Mommy to get home).

What would be your definition?
              25trekker1 Adventurer
              My definition would be a business that is approved by God.
                  LUCKIEST Guide
                  What is a "good" business? Interesting question.
                  Can you explain your definition " a business that is approved by God".
                  LUCKIEST
                    Buffalo Adventurer
                    How does God let you know if your business has been approved?
                        LUCKIEST Guide
                        Buffalo, You asked the question backwards.
                        You heard about the FLOODS, the PLAGUES, maybe THE ICE AGE.
                        LUCKIEST
                            Buffalo Adventurer
                            Good point Luckiest! So if God disapproves of your business he'll destroy it. Well I guess I'm must be doing something right because I'm still in business.....so far! :)
                                LUCKIEST Guide
                                Buffalo, Be careful
                                Two successful businessmen meet on the golf course.
                                So how's business?? Lost my business in a FIRE, but i'm O K. and You??
                                Lost my business in a FLOOD, but i'm O K also
                                I understand FIRE, BUT how do you start a FLOOD??.
                                LUCKIEST
                                    25trekker1 Adventurer
                                    That was priceless. I am still laughing inside and out. And my Pastor will be in stitchs as soon as I phone hime. Thanks, you made my day. Now here is one that I often tell. I have no idea who the author is. A gentleman was talking with God. He asked God, "How long is a thousand years to you?" God replied, "Oh, about a minute". The gentleman then asked, "How much is a million dollars to you?" God replied, "Oh, about a penny". The gentlleman thought for a while and then asked, "Well, God, Will you give me a penny?' God repllied, "In about a minute."
                                    25trekker1 Adventurer
                                    You must be a "person of good integrity"! Also, it seems that you have a "right relationship with God. I feel like I am in a Sunday School class where everyone is taking turns being the teacher. It is a wonderful and very enlightening feeling. My sincere thanks to you all. Ah!......the mystery of God, so awesome and beautful beyond description.
                                        LUCKIEST Guide
                                        NOT BEING A "person of good integrity", tell us about yourself.
                                        ENLIGHTEN US, LUCKIEST
                                            Buffalo Adventurer
                                            Are you saying you aren't a person of good integrity Luckiest? I find that hard to believe!
                                              25trekker1 Adventurer
                                              How do you know that you are not a person of good integrity?
                                                25trekker1 Adventurer
                                                I will be more than happy to tell you about myself. Which decade of my life do you want me to start with?
                                                    puzzleman Tracker
                                                    Start by telling us why you are looking for a "good" business? What ideas do you have in mind? I'm sure you that you came with some ideas or hints of ideas. What are they?

On the profile page, put in some info so we know who we are talking with. Makes things easier for everybody.

Jim
                                                    25trekker1 Adventurer
                                                    Is that an order or a request? How about a "please" more often!
                                                        LUCKIEST Guide
                                                        This is NOT the Army. I do NOT order anyone.
                                                        Sometimes I order Pizza.
                                                        Still not going to Members page and telling us about you??
                                                        Afraid or Hiding?? LUCKIEST
                                                            25trekker1 Adventurer
                                                            I am not afraid nor am I hiding. My best friend, an 89 year old and very wise woman who is an artist told me that I was the bravest person she had ever met. She is not only a great artist, but also a "true adventuress". She and I are both perfectionists. One of my greatest character faults is that I sometimes expect perfection in other human beings. I do not belive I have the right to do that, I am doing some very serious thinking about what to put on my profile. Please give me a little more time before I adhere to your request. I definitely will be posting some personal information on my profile, Thank you!
                                                                Lighthouse24 Ranger

25 trekker1, I thought about your definition of a "good" business (i.e., "approved by God"), and my dilemma is the standard that would apply. It seems "good," by God's standard, could not be anything less than perfect in every way. So there'd either be no "good" businesses at all, or God would have to lower the bar considerably (and I can't buy in to either). So my thinking is that God doesn't approve or reject business entities (but rather influences and "guides" them -- same as with people).

You wrote that you consider yourself a perfectionist. Perfection is not a standard that anyone in this community is expecting. Plus, our actions to try to achieve perfection very often have just the opposite of our desired effect on people -- rather than making them like us and respect us more, it seems to make them defensive, suspicious, argumentative . . .

The nice thing about profile information here is that you can change it or add to it whenever you want -- or like some people, just make it all up (I checked out some of the members who were spamming the board with loan and credit cards promotions early in the week and found false credentials, non-existent business names and addresses, and even pay phones as contact numbers -- one in the terminal of an airport and one just outside a Denny's restaurant. "Pssst, hey buddy, need a merchant account?" So you need not worry, as the bar for profile info hasn't been set all that high!)
                                                  DomainDiva Ranger
                                                  The 'definition of a good business being approved by God' is a theologically corrupt and juvenile definition. Forgive me if I don't see the humor in this. You have given the rest of us a standard that we cannot possibly live up to. The Bible gives us standards as to how we are to conduct ourselves when being in and doing business however there is no God-approved business out there that I know of.

As a matter of fact the businesses that I have had contact with that advertised themselves as 'christians' (therefore God must have approved them...correct?) left much to be desired. If you have to advertise what you believe then it's a sure bet you can't remember what you believe.
                                                      puzzleman Tracker
                                                      Domain diva, Here, Here. I whole heartedly agree that if you have to tell someone that you religious, sexy, God-oriented or whatever, then you must not be doing a very good job of displaying those attributes.

Ever notice the people is the cars with license plates that say foxy or sexy? They obviously have to tell me because I wouldn't have got it any other way.

My experience with so called religious people has been the same. In my extended family there is a portion that is very religious and preach tolerance. However, if my wife is wearing shorts and is with me, they will not talk to me and stay away from me. So much for tolerance.
                                                          25trekker1 Adventurer
                                                          This reply is to all who posted their opinions on the subject of "goodness". First of all, there is a very old quotation that reads, The wisdom of man is the foolishness of God. Are there degrees of sin? Certainly! Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Einstein himself said and I paraphrase: The Universe would be chaos without a creative sentient creator. I know that I can never be perfect according to the Ten Commandments and the Greatest Commandment of all which was given by our Lord Jesus Christ. But, I can try! God is omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. That is a given. And now, I am going to pose a question that only God can answer. How many hairs do you have on your head?