Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2008 11:49 AM by LUCKIEST

A little scary

humbleforlife Newbie
      I see some of the scam artists on here that have taken us and others for money.Do not send any money to England.They look legit.They sound legit, and even fooled my bank.But they are not......
        • Re: A little scary
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

It's unfortunate when you or anyone has a negative experience in a business community like this. A few scams are, of course, very complex and deceptive -- but most are fairly simple and easy to detect if business owners will just take a few minutes to check out the basic information about the people they're dealing with.

For example, a couple of days ago, there were multiple posts from eight different new members with either money to lend or credit card programs -- and here's what it took me less than five minutes to find out about them: one claims to be a member of Dun & Bradstreet (but not according to D&B), two claim to be members of the Better Business Bureau (but not according to the BBB), three have impressive sounding business names (but none are registered with the state in which they are supposedly located), one has a business address in a major city (but the address doesn't exist according to the USPS), and one has two business numbers (but both are pay phones in the main terminal of a major airport). All eight of these wanted to do business strictly though e-mail, and the e-mail addresses they provided were all either gmail or yahoo type addresses, or they were linked to websites hosted in Europe or the Middle East. It doesn't necessarily mean they were all illegitimate, but those kinds of inconsistencies should be enough to make us ask a few more questions before sending off our personal or business information.

So, yes, please be careful!
              humbleforlife Newbie
              Thank you.I see your on top of it.I just cant believe they are still using their own names on here or a variation of.They are better artists than normal.As I said,they even fooled my bank.Once is enough for me.They send you very legitimate paperwork from their Barrister or version of lawyer in England.Then they ask you to pay for that lawyer and wire funds to a legitimate bank.After wiring, they ask for more, and then they provide nothing,but excuses.

Thanks again.
              LUCKIEST Guide

Persons of any level of intelligence are vulnerable to deception by
              experienced con artists. Confidence tricks exploit human weaknesses
              like greed, dishonesty, vanity, but also virtues like honesty, compassion, or a naïve expectation of good faith on the part of the con artist.

Just as there is no typical profile for swindlers, neither is there \\ one for their victims. Virtually anyone can fall prey to fraudulent \\ crimes. … \\ Certainly victims of high-yield investment frauds may possess a \\ level of greed which exceeds their caution as well as a willingness to \\ believe what they want to believe. However, not all fraud victims are \\ greedy, risk-taking, self-deceptive individuals looking to make a quick \\ dollar. Nor are all fraud victims naive, uneducated, or elderly.

Confidence tricksters often rely on the greed and dishonesty of the
              mark, who may attempt to out-cheat the con artist, only to discover
              that he or she has been manipulated into losing from the very
              beginning. This is such a general principle in confidence tricks that
              there is a saying among con men that "you can't cheat an honest man."

Nevertheless, some tricks depend on the honesty of the victim. In a
              common scam, as part of an apparently legitimate transaction, the
              victim is sent a worthless check, which the victim then deposits. The
              victim is then urged to forward the apparent value of the check to the
              trickster as cash, possibly keeping a small portion of the money as a
              commission, which they may do before discovering the check bounces. Another fashionable scenario
              has the victim recruited as a "financial agent" to collect "business
              debts". Paper checks are not always involved: funds may be transferred
              electronically from another victim.

Sometimes con men rely on naive individuals who put their confidence in get-rich-quick schemes,
              such as "too good to be true" investments. It may take years for the
              wider community to discover that such investment schemes are bogus. By
              the time they are discovered, many people may have lost their life
              savings to something in which they have been persuaded to invest.

The confidence trickster, con man, swindler, grifter, scam artist or con artist often works with one or more accomplices called shills,
              who help manipulate the mark into accepting the con man's plan. In a
              traditional confidence trick, the mark is led to believe that he will
              be able to win money or some other prize by doing some task. The
              accomplices may pretend to be random strangers who have benefited from
              successfully performing the task.