Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 9:39 AM by Moderator Melinda

Can anyone tell me what I need to do exactly to start my own home remodeling (handyman) business, here in Houston?

enrique74 Newbie

I have been jumping from site to site trying to find out the steps I need to take to start my own remodeling business here in Houston, Is there anyone out there that can point me in the right direction please? I've been working for over 15 years as a general contractor, but I've never owned my own business...So I've used my skills to make $ for someone else, and I think it's about time to try to open my own little business venture! The only problem is I do not know exactly where to start? I've been looking online trying to find out what are the exact steps I need to take to get this ball rollin...so far I found out I'm going to need a "Business License, DBA, apply for a federal tax id #,as well as a State Tax ID #, something called a LLC (although I am not quite sure I understand what that is?) a State Employer Tax ID, and I also know I need some sort of Liability Insurance". I wanted to see if anyone could please try to explain to me in 'laymen terms" what it is I've got to do and  where to go to get these things done. Also what are the requirements to start a small home based remodeling business? Thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction.