Post a new topic
    15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2008 7:16 AM by puzzleman

need help with advertising!!!

bullin82 Newbie
      I have posted adds on craigslist, pennysaver, countless forums even ebay and i havent seen a single person visit or view my site. is there any advise out there??
        • Re: need help with advertising!!!
          Iwrite Pioneer
          Bullin,

The very first thing everyone is going to tell you is that we need more information. What type of business? What are you selling? What is your website? Who is your target?

The more information you provide the better advice you will get. And there are some great resources on this site. So, give them something to work with to better help you. You could always talk to a SCORE volunteer in your home city. But even they are going to need some information.
              bullin82 Newbie
              i kind of figured i was being to vague. i am basically a reseller or the dreded "middle-man" i supply catalogs and a web site for people to browse if they find something they like they buy it from me at a given price and i turn around and buy it from my supplier for a smaller price and so on. all the iteams are geared towards the home decor/gift area theres tons of stuff for everyone from what i have seen. on my own i have been targeting mainly women with it being more on the femanine side of things though there are iteams for males and children. if you would like to check it out and see what you think the url is www.TheStuffShack.com. (hmmm maybe the name???)
                  longshot270 Newbie
                  After viewing your website, I would say that it is a very eloquent and professional looking site, however the catalog system is very flawed. As a customer, you want to be able to browse products very easily and be able to search for what you want. At your site, it appeard the only way to browse is by a PDF version of a paper catalog, which is very difficult and frustrating. Personally, I simply quit after one or two pages of browsing.

My advice is to create a more traditional product browsing interface for your store before putting time and money into advertising. Advertising can only do so much, once people find your site they need a reason to stay there, and right now I'm not sure they do.
                puzzleman Tracker
                I agree with the previous post. Set a more traditional way to search for products. It's what people are used to.

As far as the ads that you are posting, are they targeting you market? You can say that my products work for all people, which may be true but only a certain type of person will buy your product. What is that person's social-economic group? Where do these people currently shop? What do you offer that is different or better that where they shop currently? Once these questions are answered, you have a starting place of where to put your advertising.

Another tactic to use is PPC.

Jim
                  aallc01 Wayfarer
                  Many companies find direct mail to be highly effective. I can put you in touch with an inexpensive direct mail agency that will help you with your ad and supply you with leads and statistical analysis to see how effective your ad is.
                  Please contact me at sales@affinityalliancellc.com
                      2go2Marketing Wayfarer
                      Direct mail is very costly. I wouldn't do it. Wired Magazine recently had an article on this. Some .21 Cents per postcard mailed out and something like less than 1% even keep the card and go to your site or use your service. See the (I believe) December issue of Wired magazine on the details because I can't remeber the exact numbers.

Internet Marketing is the way to go IMO.
                          Bemore Adventurer
                          We use Constant Contact email marketing. Cost effective and a great way of keeping in touch with existing customers.
                            puzzleman Tracker
                            Direct mail marketing can work if you know your numbers. I direct mail to specific zip codes that meet my criteria and get a return of 1.5% that make an order with a good drop and about 0.8% with a bad drop. I go into the mailing with the minimum return that I need to break even and that number is .01% of drops to make an average order.

I like direct mail as it puts something into their hand, they can file it for later use and they see it when they ar not looking for a particular item. (When opening mail, we are more receptive as our mind is looking for something to jump out.)

Direct mail is like any other advertising, know your numbers, watch your response rate and test new formats.

Jim
                                2go2Marketing Wayfarer
                                I guess I agree to disagree. Lets look at Ron Paul's presidential campaign... little money spent yet a ton of people reached. Why so? Google and You Tube... in short, the internet provides a cheaper more cost effective solution for advertising. Hel, TV is better than mail marketing. I lie, half the time when I fill out warranty cards, nyone else do the same?
                                    puzzleman Tracker
                                    I'm not saying that email campaigns are not effective. I feel that in conjunction with a direct mail program they help.

The reason I don't think email is as effective is that this morning I came in and deleted over 65 emails of people trying to sell me something without even opening them. Straight to the trash. With a postcard, which is what I use, everyone at least looks at. Who doesn't look at a postcard with pics on it sent in the mail to them (or someone else if you get the wrong mail). It is human nature to be curious since you physically have your hand on it.

On a personal note, I have had many of my customers tell me that they do not want emails sent to them. Their reason is that they get so much junk already and it just adds to it. I respect their wishes. Postcards are not as intrusive.

Jim
                              LUCKIEST Guide
                              82, Welcome to this web site. You need help with advertising.
                              You have gotten GOOD answers so far. Do you know about SCORE??
                              SCORE is FREE and has a Virtual Learning Center with FREE Courses on both
                              Advertising and Promoting your Business as well as developing a Business Plan.
                              Help yourself advertise: Go to the Members page and add few words about your business
                              LUCKIEST
                                2go2Marketing Wayfarer
                                That is where we come in....

2 go 2 Marketing, our company, provides Internet Marketing Solutions for Small to Medium-Large Businesses. What we do, is we work with you on what your budget is, what your possible target reach can be and track it throughout our business relationship. Too many people run in to the very same problem as you and many hire consultants whom either do Internet and Internet Search marketing incorrectly but the comapnies don't track and help with improvements throughout the whole process.

Take a look at our website and see if it is right for you.

Also... I can post a free link to your site on our Company's forum to help promote your business. We understand how hard it is geting started as a small business amrketing your service or product.

Best Regards,

Brandon
                                2 go 2 Marketing
                                http://www.2go2marketing.com
                                  bigdaddy02817 Newbie
                                  Hi,
                                  I agree with puzzleman. If you know your target, direct mail is the way to go. Do you know what type of mail gets open 12 times more often than any other form of mail? Well, it is a greeting card. Greeting cards work because they are personal. Not perceived as junk mail and they get opened and that's the biggest thing when sending mail. If you would like to try the system I use, go to http://trysendoutcards.com . There are 13,000 cards to choose from and each can be a greeting card or a postcard. Check it out. It's affordable and easy to use.

Bob
                                      Bemore Adventurer
                                      Hey, I agree with bigdaddy. I use Send Out Card as a way of having another touch with clients after the sign work is done. We usually take a photo of their new vehicle graphics or new sign, create a custom card with their new sign on it. It has been a big hit and is really very cost effective. I hadn't even thought about using it for marketing. Duh! Where have I been? Thanks. Will get on it immediately.
                                      LUCKIEST Guide
                                      Go to Members page and add a few words about your business