Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 5:29 AM by socialgomarie

Rejection of products/services

Moderator Berta Guide

We've all heard rejections in our time. Both personal and professional rejection is painful. When someone rejects your product/service, how do you respond? Do you try to find out why they are rejecting your product/service? Do you just accept their rejection as a part of life?

Can't wait to see your answers.

~Berta

• Re: Rejection of products/services
          monarchcontract Wayfarer

I think it has a lot to deal with your business. As a Contractor I have a great pipeline and don't worry to much unless it has specific details. You should review your business success though and make sure those attributes are kept.

cobase Adventurer

I always try to find out why they were not interested, and in a few cases that has caused them to actually become a customer.

That said, I don't go too far out of my way to figure out exactly what went wrong -- some people don't want to be bothered, and it's best to not bother those people!

Guide

Cobase you are right. There is always going to be a small percentage that will not be interested regardless of what you say or do. I like to call those people window shoppers. They are just looking around and trying to get some idea of what it is they want or need. A business owner should only be concerned when the percentage of window shoppers is very high. Then its time to find out what's going on.

I used to check up on my competition on a yearly basis just to make sure that our company wasn't falling behind in anyway. This method can also be used to keep the window shopper percentage at a low rumble.

Melinda

socialgomarie Wayfarer

We definitely try to find out why users do not go on to become active customers of our community software. Very often, it's down to a lack of time and knowledge on how to properly use the product leading them to think it doesn't have the features they're looking for - when in fact it does! We're doing a lot in terms of reaching out proactively and providing support material to alleviate this problem.

And for those few customers who still reject it, it is often actually a case of some missing features - we have processes in place to record and rank all customer feedback to make sure the most important things get added to our roadmap so we can iteratively improve our software.

Checking competitors' features in our space can get mind-frazzling and a waste of time if done too often - though we obviously keep tabs on industry developments (such as the uptake on mobile internet usage, new trends in social media and community management etc.)! At the end of the day customers, both active and potential, are our best source of information on what users want.

Moderator Cath Guide

So true, socialgomarie.  It is a smart thing to see what our competitors are offering.  While I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of time surfing around, it is wise to keep tabs on others who are offering the same sorts of products and/or services are you do.

Use this research to your benefit.  Let it help decide if you need to make changes or tweak something in your business.  Compare prices.  I wouldn't want to be a cookie-cutter business with others in my community but knowing what others are offering - I like the way you call it a roadmap, is a good thing.  Let the competition point you to areas you may want to modify or change.

And definitely listen to your customers.  If they are not buying from you, ask them why?  Invite them to fill out an anonymous short survey.  The results may make you wince, but they will help put you back on track.

Cath