Post a new topic
    14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2012 2:09 AM by mperuski

Can you help me get started with my E-Commerce site please?

woro2006 Adventurer

Hi All,

I want to open an e-commerce store to sell surveillance equipments such as security cameras and security cameras system.I just put together a 10-questions survey to understand the consumer demand for security cameras. Can you please help me out by taking a few minutes of your time to fill it out? I appreciate it.

Please click the link below to fill out the survey.

A Survey to Understand Customer Demand for Surveillance Equipments

Also, I am struggling big time with a store name. My idea is to market my products as home protectors for families and businesses. I want to sell the image of the stone lion guardians that historically sat in front of wealthy families' homes. Also, lion symbolizes courage, strength and nobility. Please give me some guidance on how to combine all of my ideas.

Which name should I pick to be most effective for e-commerce and SEO?

LionsCCTV.com

LionSecurityCameras.com

LionSecurityCamera.com

PantheraCCTV.com

SaharaCCTV.com

RoyalsCCTV.com

NobleSecurityCameras.com

Thanks.

Johnny

• Re: Can you help me get started with my E-Commerce site please?
          Guide

Hi woro2006,

Good use of survey monkey! But your survey was tailored more toward personal rather than business. I think that you should include more questions pertaining to businesses. Lets face it, the average American house hold doesn't use security cameras around their homes. Alarms are more prevalent. Those home owners who do make use of cameras, also use alarms and most likely shop at a reputable company. So I believe you have your work cut out for you. Good luck!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              LUCKIEST Guide

So true, I started the survey and lost interest.

Wrong questions.

Does Johnny have a business plan??

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                woro2006 Adventurer

Ok, let me explain what my concept is and hopefully someone can give me more ideas how to get me started.

i was thinking about selling surveillence equipments. Customers shop on my website and I ship the products to their houses.I think I underestimate the complexity of starting a business. I am thinking I can open a website and promote it through online marketing and SEO. Maybe it's a lot more complicated than that.

By posting the survey, I was trying to narrow down the target audience since I don't know who/what are people's willingness to pay for my products.

I do like the idea of alarms, an more integrated solution for home security and business security. What are some questions that pertain to businesses?

Thanks.

bizbiz Adventurer

Hi Johnny,

Have you considered looking at your competition to see their pricing structured? Do businesses usually buy the equipment or do they hire a company to come out to install the equipment? For people who have housekeepers or nannies in their homes, I can see them interested in surveillance equipment.    What about selling your equipment in a kit/bundle to homes and business? I would also suggest working on a marketing strategy with milestones. Find out where your customers are online.  Lucky has a great point. Do you have a business plan? What’s your vision, mission, and why surveillance equipment? What’s the story that is going to attract the customer to buy from your site?

-Veronica

synofamous Wayfarer

If you want to pick a good domain that's most effective for SEO and customer awareness (knowing what you sell) I would make sure to include both the words "Security" and "Camera" in the web address.  Everything else is branding.

YesYouCan Scout

As a partial replacement for your survey, you might start with google keyword tool www.googlekeywordtool.com  - to see how many people are searching for security cameras and what words they are using will give you some idea of home or business application.  These words (keywords) are also key to your question of name.  Since these are the words people will use in searching for security cameras, they should be used (if practical) in the name of your business to help optimize the name for SEO search.  I would vote for Lion Security Systems (or cameras).com

For FREE experience (& maybe a small profit) you might consider an Amazon Store.  You can have an aStore on your own website and sell any security equipment on Amazon's site.  The big advantage; you don't have to have an e-commerce site.  The last link from the shopping cart links direct to Amazon.com where the sale is made, product shipped, money collected and a small commission (think they call it "advertising fee') is sent to you.  The disadvantage is that the commissions are so small that - except for the great experience & education - it is not really worthwhile.  To really make any money you will eventually have to have your own full e-commerce site.  But after some (free) education with Amazon, it will be much easier - or, possibly you may decide it's not for you, in which case you won't have invested much money, or months of effort, into the venture.  To learn about an Amazon aStore, just go to amazon.com and on the bottom to the home page click on "affiliate" or "aStore" (which as I remember it is also under "affiliate" program.

woro2006 Adventurer

If I want to sell both security cameras and access control products, should I register two different domain names for security cameras and access control? i.e. LionSecurityCameras.com and LionsAccessControl.com. However, I want my customer to have a convenient shopping experience by finding everything they need in one site. Please advice.

Thanks.

Viral Munshi Newbie

Hi Johnny,

My name is Viral Munshi and I run my e-commerce consulting business. To answer your question it really depends upon which e-commerce platform you choose and whether it allows multi-site mode where you can share users and products for multiple sites vs. keep them unique to each site. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. for e.g. if you have very small number of products which are shared on two different sites then it is a good idea to keep them unique to each website so that when user with specific needs search on one of your sites, you only offer what is relevant and keep the search results count small. If you think that the user who is buying your cameras is also the targeted user for access control products then it makes sense to keep the products on one site under one domain so that you can do some "up sells" of these products with each other. Same thing applies to shared vs. unique users, when you market to your customers via marketing emails, you need to decide whether to market both types of products together or separate emails for each type. If the answer is later then you should keep your customers separate for both the sites. All it comes down to what % of users are your targeted customers for both lines of business and make decision based on that. To go one more step further,you can also keep same username for both the sites and still have different profile for customer based on each site using something called "Single Sign On (SSO)" but that is not something any "Off the Shelf" e-commerce product will support. You can contact me at vmunshi@allacode.com if you have more questions regarding your e-commerce initiative. I can help you find the right e-commerce platform based on your needs, budget and expected growth in next 3 years.

Thanks,

Viral

YesYouCan Scout

Lot of very good advice so far, but let me try a different approach that might help;  As you have seen, it will be very difficult to get a loan to start this type of business and you may have to limp along using traditional (& free) marketing and sales methods until you are established and banks will be more willing to consider expansion money for your established small business - so ---  in addition to what you are probably already doing (ebay etc.) - consider adding Affiliate Marketing.

Yes there are comic book programs that offer affiliate programs - the commissions are not really enough to make it worthwhile, but the experience is priceless and there is no start-up expense (many will even give you your own website for your sales platform.

For more information - try;  niftycomics.com  or  ComicSellingSecrets.com

For actual Comic Affiliate Programs - try:  NewKadia.comAffordable Comic Books Affiliate Program - or - Cellar of Comics.Affiliate Program  - http://www.cocs.com

The sales venue & marketing experience should be valuable and it won't cost you anything to try it out.

Jim Peters Tracker

Lots of good replies here. Zeroing on the name of a store is one of the most difficult tasks. Apart from the terms we like to add in the name there are also factors like good SEO strategies that must be followed in order to make our website a success.

AMULETAnalytics Adventurer

Johnny,

If you can offer some compelling rewards, like product discounts, you might consider running a crowdfunding project to help fund your new site. Check out http://www.fundageek.com/software which is a site just for people building software solutions.

Daniel

mperuski Adventurer

Also check out Agiliron.com... seems to have a pretty comprehensive product at a good price for a business such as yours.

I think I would try to use a name that would encompass the gist of the types of products you will be selling... I would try and stay away from branding 2 separate names since you really will want to focus on 1.  Maybe something like  Lionsecurityproducts.com or the like.  I would check the availability on godaddy to see if the .com is available too.  Always better to go with a .com domain if possible.

Good luck!

Michelle Peruski

www.balact.com