Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 12:50 PM by applieditgroup

Traditional IT vs Cloud IT

Moderator Berta Guide

Many businesses use the traditional IT guy for technical problems. He/she could be on staff of the business or someone in a business down the street that is contracted to handle technical issues for the company.   What do you think of foregoing the traditional IT solutions and using the Cloud IT solution?

Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

• Re: Traditional IT vs Cloud IT
          Craig Parker Tracker

It's all good until it breaks.  It seems like six of one, half dozen of the other.  But... If you use the cloud and your connection goes down, you're screwed.  In rural Maine, our connection going down (no power during a blizzard will do that) is a very real possibility, so the cloud is kind of out.

Hi Craig,

I soooo agree! I cant tell you how many times our power went out or the connection was down for whatever reason. When running a business and you have clients to take care of, they really don't care why you cant serve their needs. All they care about is NOW.

We also tried the Cloud IT. It was a long process over the phone, because I was not computer savvy it was frustrating on my part, I still had to pay for the service (just as you would a local IT guy), and the problem was so sever the computer had to be shipped out anyway (and we all know that mail is NOT quicker than the local IT guy). Needless to say, we have our own IT guy in the office!

mmhyde Wayfarer

Agree with Craig on this issue, however just make replication back-ups on premise (on your LAN) and you will have your data accessible in a whole host of cases (power outage, Cloud provider failure/dissolution).  And also agree with DomainDiva below as well...have a designated IT guy for your business.  I have all of the above; Cloud, IT guy and on premise (mirrored) back-up and it is priceless and comforting. 

DomainDiva Ranger

We have our own programmer/IT guy that manages our cloud and server locations and we have numerous hotspots with Verizon and AT&T to connect to in case the 'house' goes down. It's all a matter of back up and preparation. We have up to and including Plan D for customer access and service.

engagedots Scout

There is always a great challenges with traditional IT. Cloud IT has overcome with all those hindrance.

teknacion Wayfarer

As Mr. Parker said; Cloud-based IT is only good if the connection to the Internet is good and if the person requesting help is savy and PATIENT enough to receive instructions on how to troubleshoot the computer over the phone.

In my experience as an Outsourced IT Solutions provider Internet connection problems account for the majority of help calls.  Instructing a user what do with their computer to fix the problem in a crisis is never a fun experience.

So in my opinion having an IT person physically present is the best option.

Small business can not always afford to hire IT staff.  Plus paying an IT staff to just sit around and look busy when everything is working fine (which should be as often as possible) is not very good use of business revenue.  IT Outsourcing is the best option for small businesses who want to remain competative in todays market.

Moderator Berta Guide

Hi Teknacion, Thank you so much for your input on this.

I agree with you, the person asking for help does have to be patient and able to follow instructions given over the phone to be able to assist the IT person with diagnosing & repairing the computer.

fshagan Adventurer

I have to agree with you, Teknacion (and not just because I offer IT solutions to my customers in my local area!)

There is a lot that can be done in the cloud, but a non-technical users can spend a lot of time getting something resolved over chat, email and the phone. When you add the cost of that time to the cloud IT costs it can often become more expensive than a local outsourced IT guy.

applieditgroup Adventurer

There are two issues here that need to be addressed separately. One is where your applications, services and data are hosted and who supports the infrastructure they are hosted on. Two is the actual technical support for systems in your office.

First issue entirely depends on what size of the business you are, but if we're talking about small business 99% of the time it cloud makes more sense. Here is why:

1. There is no upfront investment for infrastructure and licensing (CapEx vs OpEx)

2. Support, backups, redundancy is provided by your provider (No need for a full time employee/s to support these)

3. Scalability built in - whether you are 1 person business or a 100 people business, the infrastructure is there to support your growth.

The issue of availability can be addressed with a number of ways:

1. By having a local copy of data stored in the cloud. Most applications/services will allow for that.

2. By having redundancy in your own network (designed by your IT provider)

On to the second issue - local support. The reality of today's world is such that 90% of the issues users experience can be solved with proper design and implementation followed by preventative maintenance. Out of remaining ten percent nine percent can be resolved via remote access to your system You don't need to deal with instructions, just sit back and let the tech figure it out. Only 1 %t of the issues you're likely to experience will require a tech on site. Think: virus (which you shouldn't have gotten in the first place if the network/clients are secured properly) that requires diagnostics when your computer is not connected to the Internet.

Conclusions and recommendations:

1. Host your data online (Cloud)

2. Have a local backup of your data

3. Have a local company IT expert for office systems. Make sure they know what they are doing:)