Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2012 4:45 PM by LUCKIEST

Men and women in the work place.

Guide

The traditional role of a stay at home mom has become a dinosaur. A very large percentage of woman have hung up their aprons and replaced them with business attire, taking on the role of a superior. Have you ever had a female boss? If so, what was the difference in leadership style? Which do you prefer - a female or male superior? Why? 

• Re: Men and women in the work place.
          LUCKIEST Guide

It should not make a difference if your supervisor, if the supervisor is qualified and fair.

Men typically have a complicated relationship with money.

Men feel pressure to provide, which causes them to equate money with security.

The past 5 years have not been easy

OfficeGoddess Navigator

I have seen the same types of behaviors in both genders of bosses.  I don't have a preference for the GENDER of a boss, I just prefer one that treats me as an intelligent, educated employee capable of doing my job without unnecessary interference and with minimal supervision.  Being appreciated never hurt, either.

Lily Chambers

The Virtual Office Goddess, LLC

Author: How To Do Your Own Small Business Bookkeeping

Moderator Cath Guide

Love your response, Office Goddess.  I have worked for some bosses who were men who were tyrants and have worked for some women bosses who were as kind and considerate as one could want.  But I do understand (as I am sure do you) where Moderator Melinda is heading with her question.

Leadership styles tend to be assigned to gender and I will agree that some women feel as if they have to be tyrants in order to lead.  Perhaps the 'glass ceiling' has something to do with this.

How do you work with a boss/manager who displays strong governing traits?  AND do you feel that employees can contribute to calming the workplace atmosphere down?  If so, how?

Cath

OfficeGoddess Navigator

I had a boss who was a 'screamer' (female) for several years, followed by another one who was a 'controller' (male).  My next position was a 'part-time, temporary' job (that I've been at for over 7 years ).  A few days after I started my boss got in my face and starting yelling at me out for something.  My response was "you need me - I DON'T need you.  Back off or I'm leaving."  He apologized and has never given me grief since.

O.k., so short version is that I think a new employee has to establish 'ground rules' and 'behavior expectations' with their boss(es) when first hired to prevent this type of miserable work experience.

As far as an employee directly affecting workplace atmosphere, I have many times been told that as long as I seem calm and in control everyone else feels that everything is fine.  I have seen agitated employees make everyone jumpy and nervous and, after talking to them (behind closed doors, of course) everyone else seems to feel better since I 'handled it' for them.

Lily Chambers

The Virtual Office Goddess, LLC

Author: How To Do Your Own Small Business Bookkeeping

Ranger

Very good points , Office Goddess . I've heard before that nobody treats you like a welcome mat and steps all over your without your permission. I suppose some folks would rather one gender or another at work because it's a kind of "family ' with expected roles for each , according to what each person has known in life. Thanks for perspective.

Joleen

LUCKIEST Guide

On the same subject, a very interesting article in todays Wall Street Journal

(Sept 12) Personal Section

"What to Do With a Workplace Whiner"

and more tips