Post a new topic
    12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 2:00 AM by intechspecial

Is your website mobile ready?

bankpig Adventurer
      Most websites, including mine are not optimized for mobile phone browsers. And now that the Apple iphone has exploded and people are starting to get used to surfing on a cell, I'm looking to make some changes. I anticipate in the near future, most phones will be efficient for surfing and sites that are optimized will have a competitive advantage. I tested and evaluated my site for mobile-readiness for FREE at http://mtld.mobi (I flunked the test).

Has anyone made their site mobile ready and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks,
      Bryan

BANKPIG.COM
        • Re: Is your website mobile ready?
          Michael Adventurer
          If your website is developed to be handicap accessible, it will also be accessible to devices like the iPhone.
              bankpig Adventurer
              Michael, is that a joke?
                  RongDesign Adventurer
                  First, Michael is partly right. If a website follows all the 3WC rules of content so that all handicap features work properly, it will also translate onto the iPhone nicely. It will be over sized and have scroll bars but it will work. I have never made my site Mobile Ready but I do get visit from cell phones.

Second, you are right, every site should be mobile ready. I will possibly make a business card styled website that shows up on mobile phones but I do no think my product will ever sell on a cell phone.

Third, let Luckiest a lone, haha. It repeats him self but it definitely works. I have never met anyone with a stronger network. He is an asset and should be watched carefully.

Thank you,

Dave Moore @

**RongDesign.com
                      intechspecial Ranger
                      Actually the reference to making a website mobile ready is a fact. Here is a quote taken from the World Wide Web Consortium (www.w3.org) website:

"These guidelines explain how to make Web content accessible to people with disabilities. The guidelines are intended for all Web content developers (page authors and site designers) and for developers of authoring tools. The primary goal of these guidelines is to promote accessibility. However, following them will also make Web content more available to all users, whatever user agent they are using (e.g., desktop browser, voice browser, mobile phone, automobile-based personal computer, etc.) or constraints they may be operating under (e.g., noisy surroundings, under- or over-illuminated rooms, in a hands-free environment, etc.). Following these guidelines will also help people find information on the Web more quickly. These guidelines do not discourage content developers from using images, video, etc., but rather explain how to make multimedia content more accessible to a wide audience."
                          intechspecial Ranger
                          I would also have to agree with RongDesign on his comments in regards to Luckiest.

With all of Luckiest hard work he puts in every day, he really deserves the utmost of respect, and he is networked extremely well.
                              AppleGraphics Adventurer
                              I agree Luckiest is well connected so be careful. j/k. As for the mobility piece my site is not made to be viewed off of mobile devices though is actually rated fair via their tests I assuming because it will load quickly and display though only the very basic of information will make it through. That being said I can actually view the site perfectly from my iPhone but that of course basically has full fledged browser built in it.
                                  RongDesign Adventurer
                                  Personally I think that the companies who have the biggest need to be mobile ready right now is Resturants that take online reservations, any entertainment (company or musicians) or any sites aimed at kids.

Those who are aimed at selling products to companies in bulk or a service, you really don't have to be to concerned right now. Soon though. Get it done now while its still affordable and be ahead of your competition.

Thats only my opinion though. Many will disagree with me about how soon you should worry about it.
                                      ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                                      I'm giving this one away.. for FREE (Luckiest is sure to like that).

Regarding RongDesign's comment on mobile availability for restaurants, why not take it one step further and build a system that allows a user's number to be "buzzed" (not unlike when you get a pager at a restaurant) when your table is ready?

Of course, this is a big idea that would need some money behind it.. but eventually the restaurant biz will go in this direction. The possibility for promotion is endless, and you can track customer frequency or promotional messages sent to them. A bit OT, but something to think about. :)
                            ModernGorilla Wayfarer
                            accesskeys.org
                            LUCKIEST Guide
                            Is your website mobile ready, This web site loves FREE.
                            SCORE is FREE. Good luck
                            LUCKIEST