Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2008 9:50 PM by LariosVox

Business Ethics

25trekker1 Adventurer
      Are good business ethics and integrity the very foundation of a successful business?
        • Re: Business Ethics
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Great Question. Yes, good business ethics and integrity are the very foundation of a successful business.

Ethical conduct is, and always has been, a defining characteristic of
          successful businesses—
          it helps you stay right with the law, and it
          helps you win in the marketplace.
          A consistent and visible commitment
          to strong ethics and high commercial standards breeds the trustnecessary to gain and retain good business on favorable terms.

LUCKIEST
            puzzleman Tracker

Good business and Personal ethics are the foundation of a business. I have met and been involved with people that were not very ethical however they were able to become successful monetarily. My opinion is that I don't want to win that way, I want to do it the right way.

As far as being successful, ethics and integrity is a start. Success comes from a lot of sweat and grit as well as smarts.

Jim
              Lighthouse24 Ranger

Whose definition of success? Whose standard of ethics and integrity? We each view those in our own way.

The attorney in the office next door to me is a great friend, a person I respect, and someone with whom I share most of the same personal beliefs. But we don't "keep score" the same way at all -- our definitions of business success are considerably different.

As illustrated by other forum questions that have an ethical component, business owners in this community don't always agree on what's "right." (Though, hopefully, none of us are as bad as the owner I saw on one of those courtroom television shows while I was waiting at an airport gate: "Well, of course I lied to him, your honor, I'm in business! Why would I ever tell a customer the truth?")

Peter63 Wayfarer
                I remember years ago,I was being interviewed for a departmental change within a large manufacturing company. The "Group Executive" said "I'll give you 3 pieces of advice"...
                1. Don't beleive anything anyone tells you.
                2. Treat everyone as an idiot
                3. Assume everyone is trying to con you.

I told my Father this when I got home. He worked at the company in the days before I did, and had held a position superior to my boss-to-be.

Dad told me I should have asked that Group Exec;
                1. Does that include you?
                and
                2. So why do you employ a bunch of idiots?
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    Good Answer, Peter. Try this one

This course lasts for one semester and is run by Professor N.
                    Ron Buggard, author of "Business Morality: A Moron's Guide
                    to an Oxymoron." The course is worth between one and three
                    billion credits, depending on your creative input.

Week 1: An introduction to ethics

Are ethics good for business - or vice versa?
                    This lecture, with accompanying seminar and pie charts, will
                    introduce the student to the once-fashionable notion of ethics.
                    It will outline the main principles of ethical behavior, from
                    duty to obligation, to right and wrong, in all their forms. It
                    will bypass the Kantian (European) notions of ethical action,
                    focusing on the difference between personal ethics, boardroom
                    ethics, golf-course ethics, and public displays of ethics in
                    front of congressional committees

*Week 2: An introduction to business</strong</p>

What is business? And why is it so profitable?
                    This lecture will remind students of the main principles of
                    business, from inflating your figures, to devaluing others'
                    currency. It will ask you to invent a mock stock report, and to
                    imagine a sham profit margin. With reference to real events, it
                    will teach you how to avoid prosecution by either befriending
                    the occupants of the White House, financing the occupants of the
                    White House, or becoming the occupants of the White House

*Week 3: Cooking the books - a few select
                    recipes</strong</p>

Students will learn how to misappropriate
                    funds, turn expenses into profits, shift data among
                    spreadsheets, and hide debts by filtering money through coffee
                    machines.

LUCKIEST
                    designer Tracker
                    Hello. Here is a sign I keep nearby....

"To be persuasive, we must be believable;

To be believable, we must be credible;

To be credible, we must be truthful".

-Edward R. Murrow

I think telling the truth builds trust and relationships and over time combined with quality, passion, luck and timing, persistence and patience.....it turns into solid success.
                      mqufinance Newbie
                      No. Just open the newspaper to find examples of "successful" (as measured by today's society) people with no ethics or morals. But, having been around the block a few times I can tell you stories of how easy it is to go from this kind of success to having to learn to survive in jail. It's easy to be honest just think of having to say godbay to your loved one in a courtroom as they get rady to ship you to the big house for a few years. Not worth it!
                        intechspecial Ranger
                        Great Question!

I believe that they should be, but unfortunatley their is always a bad apple in the pack.

Most businesses abide by this "unwritten law" of business, unfortunately the ones that do not, make it much more difficult for the ones that do.
                          LariosVox Wayfarer
                          I only want to add to recent replies, Ethics is a must for success which you invest your business in whether is Internet or physical locale