Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2012 9:08 AM by Moderator Ilona

Does Yelling Get Results??

LUCKIEST Guide

Great story in today's Wall Street Journal (Wed Aug 15)

"When the Boss Is a Screamer"

We can have great dialogue and discussion whether you are the screamer or being screamed at.

LUCKIEST

• Re: Does Yelling Get Results??
          Moderator Ilona Ranger

Interesting subject, would you rather work for a 'Boss' that screams at you when he or she believes you are doing something wrong or are to slow or any other indiscretions they believe they see instead of taking you into the office and having a quiet conversation with you?

Or, are you the 'Boss' that believes work get's done better and faster when you scream at your workers and put them in their place?

Let us know what you think.

Ilona

Moderator Cath Guide

Surely, as adults, we quickly learn that we can address a person or issue with a calm demeanor and get positive results.  Now having said that, unfortunately some adults never learned this and think they can get the results they desire by yelling and screaming and creating a scene.

What is the old saying: you can get better results with honey?  Maybe we need some honey to share with those bosses?

We have all heard of the bosses who scream and wonder why their employees continue to work for them.

I would like to hear from anyone who has worked for one of these bosses. Tell us how you endured each work day and why you stayed.

Cath

Moderator Ilona Ranger

I have a friend that for the last 25 years or so has worked for a 'Screamer' and claims she does it because the paycheck is good, that he can yell and scream at her all he wants she ignores him since he told her more than once she is doing a great job.Guess it depends on the person.

Ilona

OfficeGoddess Navigator

I worked for a 'screamer' for over 2 years.  I was the buffer between the boss and everyone else (who would have quit had they been treated that way!).  The income was exceptional and I was the sole support for a family of 3 and needed the higher-paying job that kept us going until my child was old enough to start bringing in money to help out, allowing me to find a lesser-paying job with less stress/tension.  Sometimes it's just a matter of survival!

Moderator Cath Guide

Agreed Office Goddess - sometimes we just have to do what we have to do. You endured a difficult situation with that employer because of the good pay and you needed to support your family.  So often survival is the reason that employees stick with the job.

I'm thankful you are out of that work situation now and am sure you brought a LOT of good information out of it with you.

Cath

Guide

My husband worked for a screamer for close to 5 years. He witnessed many people in the office being openly yelled at, but in the first 3 years he was never a target. One day his luck ran out and the boss really let him have it. The next day when the situation had calmed down a bit, my husband pulled the boss aside and let him know that he didn't appreciate being disrespected in front of his colleagues and would appreciate it if the next time he would please call him behind close doors and discuss things in a calmer atmosphere. The boss was absolutely stumped. He actually apologized to my husband and never raised his voice to him again. The rest of the office was not so lucky. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

Uncle Leon Tracker

Some "bosses" are "Drivers".  They drive workers via "Fear Motivation"

Other Bosses are Leaders.  Their workers serve based upon inspiration, encouragement, and a sense of growth and accomplishment.

"Drivers" subordinates are never loyal.  They have no reason to be.  They may stay on the job due to "NEED"; but they surely don't want to.  At the first opportunity, they will be gone.  - Training new employees due to high turnover is expensive.

There's an old cliche' that states that: "feces rolls downhill"  That simply means that the attitude at the highest level normally filters down through the ranks.

cashloans Adventurer

I want to know what makes a boss yell and why he/she would think that will get better results?  I had a boss that yelled and the reason he did it was becasue he could get away with it - the jobs provided by the compnay were some of the best paying and best benefits in the area.  So, he knew that people would not just up and leave.  Yelling at the employees, I guess, just made him feel better about himself - taking his fustration out on others. But, what happened was that people did not up and leave but they did transfer to other positions within the company just to get away from him.

Moderator Ilona Ranger

I honestly believe that Bosses that yell do so just for the power...the power that it gives them to make others feel bad and cower from them. They do not see that in the long run it makes them very lonely people, because if the yell at the workplace they surely yell at home to. Maybe they where yelled at when they grew up and now they have the power to make people feel the way they did back then or maybe they have always been bullies, because to me that's all they are big bullies.

Ilona