Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2012 5:31 PM by LUCKIEST

Questions to ponder (and perhaps answer)

Moderator Cath Guide

At what point in your business/working life did you make the large decision to go into business for yourself? 

What qualities and/or skills did you possess that led you to believe that you could be a success in the business world as a small business owner?

I understand the finances play a large part of the equation but so do the qualities/skills we hold.  I am interested to read when the point was reached when you decided, after much research, to start your own business.

AND when you got your business started, were there some skills that you wished you brought into the business?

Cath

• Re: Questions to ponder (and perhaps answer)
          LUCKIEST Guide

It was easy to make the decision to go into business for myself.

I was fired from my controller position.

I knew that I possess the following skills

• Strong business to business sales skills 
          • Ability to work independently 
          • Good organizational skills 
          • Creative talent 
          • Desire to help local businesses thrive

So I started my own business(s) and never looked back

LUCKIEST

• Re: Questions to ponder (and perhaps answer)
            OfficeGoddess Navigator

I started my office career as a secretary and ended up working as a bookkeeper for various companies – a water engineering firm, an immigration law office, a criminal law office, and a criminal justice consulting firm, all small companies - when the bookkeeper at the water engineering firm left to start her own business and they trained me to replace her.  My father owned his own business when I was growing up and I swore up and down that I would NEVER become an entrepreneur!  Famous last words!

I had been working for the criminal justice consulting firm for about two years when one of our subcontractors approached me for a referral.  “I’m the trustee for a local horse rescue operation and the board just authorized me to find a part-time bookkeeper.  It’s only a couple of hours a month.  Can you suggest someone for me to contact?”  Of course, my first response was “me!”  After all, only a few hours a month wouldn’t be that hard and who couldn’t use the extra money, right?

She suggested I start up a business and file for a LLC with the Secretary of State so I could write off my expenses.  A few weeks later, she called and said she had a friend who was looking for a part-time bookkeeper and, now that I had my own business, would I be interested in talking to her.  The rest, as they say, is history!

I had been working for small businesses for nearly 3 decades at that point and pretty much running all of the office functions for the prior 6 years.  I had started out interning for my Dad when I was 18 because he needed the help and I needed a job.  Due to my experience, background, and helping my Dad when I was younger, I knew I had 'what it takes' to go out on my own.  Because of the type of 'jump start' I got as a virtual bookkeeper, I only had about 6 weeks to do research into starting my own business.  I feel very fortunate that, with the internet, the information I needed was all available to get set up and running properly from the get-go.

The biggest skill that I wish I had when I started was marketing; I already knew bookkeeping, business planning, time management, etc. but marketing was (and is) a strange animal to me.  I have been lucky to be well-connected fairly quickly and have never had a problem locating clients through word-of-mouth and my social network connections but I still wish I knew more about marketing.

Lily Chambers
            The Virtual Office Goddess, LLC
            Author: How To Do Your Own Small Business Bookkeeping