Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2012 3:16 PM by OfficeGoddess

Balancing Act

BMPhoto Scout

For those of you that have a Home Based Business, how do you balance you're work time/personal time? Do you have an office in your home that's 'off limits' to everyone else? Do you still have a 9-5 job too? How do you manage the chaos?

• Re: Balancing Act
          BMPhoto Scout

I have a 20hr/week job just for the benefits, a full-time photography business and a 15 month old. Since she hasn't learned to be a good assistant yet I have a hard time getting work done during the day. I usually end up replying to emails and editing photos after she's gone to bed. And one or two afternoons a week I'll send her to the sitter's for a few hours to get caught up. How do you balance the work and play at your house?

LUCKIEST Guide

A trip down memory lane.

In the old days (before computers and cell phones), I was a work at home Dad and an accountant.

The children would leave for school and I would take over the kitchen table to do my accounting work.

The advantage of the kitchen table was that my work had to be wrapped up by dinner time.

Yes many a time after the children went to bed I went back to the kitchen table.

The big advantage(s) of working from home was (ONE) that I was there for my children

and (TWO) I could play tennis almost anytime.

Yes it was a balancing act and I would gladly do it again LUCKIEST

OfficeGoddess Navigator

I work a 9-5 as well as a virtual bookkeeping business.

When I started my business 5 years ago I had a schedule of working M-F 7-8:30am and 7:00-9:30pm and Sat 8-noon on my bookkeeping business and, of course, my 9-5 job took my time M-F from 8:30am-5:30pm (including commute time).

Now that my business is established and I have my procedures in place, etc. I have dropped the morning hours altogether and just work evenings from 7:30-9:30pm and Saturday mornings.  For the most part, weekday hours are for producing client work and Saturday mornings are for marketing, etc.  I still check emails during my morning/afternoon breaks and return calls at lunchtime during the week.

Lily Chambers

The Virtual Office Goddess, LLC

Author: How To Do Your Own Small Business Bookkeeping