Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2012 2:00 PM by BMPhoto

marketing for prom season

west23 Wayfarer

We are just starting the business to sell wedding, prom, formal dresses. How can we do marketing/advertising inside local high schools for the prom season? Can we contact the PTA to ask for help?

• Re: marketing for prom season
          BMPhoto Scout

Knowing someone on the PTA is a great start but usually they don't have any say as to who can advertise inside of the school. Call the school. Ask who is in charge and how you can talk to them. I'm a senior portrait photographer and last year I called and then had flyers sent to the school to get handed out to the kids and put up a few in the hallways and cafeteria. I would suggest calling now since homecoming and ring dance will both be right after school starts and that's another great time to buy formal dresses. Do you have a shop or is this out of your home? Will you rent/sell tuxes too? Think about doing a Prom Fashion Show in Jan-Feb when they've gotten back from winter break and start shopping. Good Luck!

Moderator Ilona Ranger

I agree with BMPhoto, call the school get in contact with the school board, and get started soon. Maybe buy add space in the school news paper on a regular basis, they are usually very cheap and buy a advertising page in the school yearbook.

Ilona

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              BMPhoto Scout

Thanks @Luckiest!

More ways to get their attention: Use social media (I know you're saying 'Duh!') Teenagers are social creatures and love to be 'Tagged', tell people where they're 'checking in' and how much they loved shopping at @MyDessBoutique. Get a few Senior Representatives from each local high school and start a referral program. Talk to other local business that are geared toward the prom business and bundle your services. Refer 10 people and get 10% off, refer 20 and get a free corsage, refer 50 and get a free hair session from a local salon, etc. If a fashion show doesn't work then try an open house at your shop. Invite other local businesses, florists, salons, limo services, photographers. Have each biz donate something and do a raffle at the end of the night. To showcase this year's hottest prom trends announce a Casting Call on Facebook/Twitter looking for local high school girls to model the dresses during the open house.

1 of 1 people found this helpful