Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2012 9:25 AM by Moderator Jim

Upgrade Now or Wait Until Fall?

Moderator Jim Ranger

We're in one of those rare cycles when all the major PC and telephone operating systems (Windows 8, Mac OSx Mountain Lion, iOS 6, Android 4.1, Windows Phone 8) are coming out with upgrades in the fall. With all the technology experts saying to wait until the fall to upgrade your systems and phones, will you wait or will you take advantage of the sales on "last generation" technology?

Would love to hear your opinions!

Jim

• Re: Upgrade Now or Wait Until Fall?
          Craig Parker Tracker

What I'd really like to see is new software working on older hardware.  In the Android world... I don't understand why I can't just go ahead and run ice cream sandwich on my phone without rooting it.  How much more horsepower does a phone have now than one made a year ago have?  Does it even matter if ice cream was supposed to be smarter about using system resources?

Then again, I don't know why your "last generation" idea wouldn't work.  Thought I rant because I can't have it without hacking, is the newest OS necessary after all?

Ranger

I plan to upgrade when the back to school sales hit . I'm not particularly interested in going to Windows 8 but I like to stay on top of technology somewhat.

Joleen

Moderator Jim Ranger

As long as my hardware still works with Windows 8, I'll be upgrading all my machines with it this fall. But as for a tablet, I'll probably wait for Microsoft Surface with Pro 8 on it instead of the RT copy on the early ones. I just hope it supports media center. Media Center and streaming over my network is one thing missing with any tablet right now (while there's work arounds for ipad/android tablets it's not the same). That could be the killer app for that tablet, but, of course, Microsoft is dropping the ball and making that an optional download for Pro only. :X

Jim