Post a new topic
    18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2012 1:23 PM by OfficeGoddess

What do i do now?

Brizza Adventurer

I live in Mariposa, Ca and i am trying to start  VA business, but i found out that my county does not offer or use business licences but to be able to work out of my home i have to petition the town planning commision (tpl) and they have to post a sign out side of where i live for 30 days before i can get a yes or no answer. Well i live in an apartment building and im not sure if they are going to agree to all that. Im not sure what to do now?

• Re: What do i do now?
          LUCKIEST Guide

Welcome, It sounds like a easy solution.

Talk to the town planning commission and ask them.

Good luck, LUCKIEST

AChanceToBuild Wayfarer

Hi Brizza,

I would like to try and help, but what exactly is a VA Business?

Brizza Adventurer

A VA is a Virtual Assistant. Basically is a secratary who works  to help you get you work done so you have time to do other things. You pay a fee for sevices how ever you dont pay benefis, sick time vacations, or hollidays. And its mostly done online through the internet, Hence the name Virtual Assistans. Most of the time there is never face to face contact, all is donr by e-mail or by phone.

Moderator Berta Guide

Hi Brizz,

Have you talked to your landlord and/or neighbors about your business idea? Before going to the Town Planning Commission I would talk to your Landlord to see if he/she will even allow a business in their building. You may be able to find this information in your lease as well.

Best of luck.

~Berta

LLG Adventurer

Hi Brizza,

I would look into this a little more. Since you aren't receiving clients at your home, you are primarily web-based. I would think that is a completely different classification than a typical business. There are many, many people that do consulting and other services out of their homes and don't register their homes as businesses. In your scenario, you could use a laptop and work from anywhere, the fact that you do it primarily from your house should be incidental.

I really doubt your apartment manager is going to allow you to run a "business" out of your apartment. You need to call someone in Mariposa and explain your situation explicity. You may not need to do anything, since a license isn't even necessary.

Lori

Brizza Adventurer

Yeah i talked to my manager and they said that i really dont have to do all that. Since i am going to be working from my laptop and ill have a po box that i really dont need to register. Now i have to figure out the name, if i want to use my own or do a fictitious name.

LLG Adventurer

Brizza,

Your choice for a name really depends on your target market (the customers you will service). What are their expecations of someone providing VA services? Will they want to use your company if you go by your name, which is more personal, or will they expect you to have more of a professional business presence?

There are a few other considerations. How will you market to potential customers? If you can do it from a more personal level, Facebook or Twitter, then your own name is probably fine. If you will need a website, you'll need a domain name. In most cases, you'll want that to be tied to a business name.

Also, what is the future of the business? Are you building a company that could be sold some day or will you hire people in the future? If so, you definitely want a business name.

I found this link to the California State site on starting your business - http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/be/starting-a-business.htm

Step 1 talks about a business plan. If you need help on this, make sure to ask me, I have a solution for you.

Step 3 says you need to register business names with your county.

Here's your county page for registering a ficticious business name - http://www.mariposacounty.org/index.aspx?nid=231

It's only $30, which I assume you have to pay each year (that's the way it works here in Washington anyway). I'm a big believer in having a business name, but you have to do what's best for your business. Just as everything else you do in business, your target market will dictate your choice.

Hope that helps,

Lori

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              Brizza Adventurer

Yeah i am trying to figure out what would be a good name still. I am still kind of limited on my sevice abilities but i am in the process of that changing as i am taking classes to improve some of my abilities. I have started my plan but am still researching a few things.

Ranger

Thanks for the Update, Brizza!  What's next ?

Joleen

KARLAAMAYA Adventurer

Hello Brizza,

I have a Virtual Assistant business and most of my work I do from home. I do have a small office where I come only on the weekends to see clients. I don't think you need a permit if you don't see your clients in your home but you might want to double check that with your town.

Thanks,

Karla

OfficeGoddess Navigator

I also have a VA business.  I rarely meet with clients (I am VIRTUAL, after all!) but on the occasions I need to meet physically, I 'rent' an office by the hour at Intelligent Office.  They have locations all over the country and the rates are really reasonable.  It's a little nerve-wracking to have total strangers come to my home and this definitely beats meeting at a coffee shop!

Lily Chambers

The Virtual Office Goddess, LLC

Author: How To Do Your Own Small Business Bookkeeping

Moderator Ilona Ranger

Looks like lot's of great tip's and advice. Anyone else have any ideas, feel free to post them right here.

Ilona

kellyd.baser Newbie

i need help.

YesYouCan Scout

Brizza,  I am not a Virtual Assistant, but as a home business consultant I have used these services, and also have investigated this as a Home Based Business I might like to promote.  Since you are virtual, working almost exclusively online, and do not have customers, delivery trucks, excessive mail, etc. coming to your home, your address should not be a problem.  If you have local clients, you can go to their place of business and, as Office Goddess has said, temporary offices can be rented (if needed) in almost any medium sized city.  Every VA I've talked to has not said their address was a problem.

You mentioned you were taking classes so you may already have all the information you need, but when I was investigating what it took to become a VA one of the best sources I came across was Virtual Assistant Training.com  And, NO, I am not associated with them in any way other than to be familiar with some of their stuff and have seen testimonials (most very favorable).  They sell a program called "Steps to Success - The Ultimate Guide to Becoming A Virtual Assistant" which covers all the questions you posed & more.  You might check it out as it seems quite good and is very inexpensive.

As to the name of your business - keep KEYWORDS in mind.  What words would people enter into their computer when they were looking for your services?  Try and work those keywords into the name of your business.

Good Luck.

Dick Bendtzen, "The Really Small Business Guy"