Post a new topic
    19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2012 10:52 AM by sundstrj

what is the best site or best way to start a website for my business?

1teezy Wayfarer

i want to develop a webiste to promote my business but not sure how to go about it. any ideas. I am kind of at a lost.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
        • Re: what is the best site or best way to start a website for my business?
          koln123 Tracker

Millions of people have had very good results using Wordpress as a platform to build a site.   The great advantage to Wordpress is that it is amongst the easiest to use, so easy that someone with little experience can build a good site.     Another advantage to Wordpress is that many users contribute with free software plugins to the Wordpress communtity, which can be used either for free,  or for a small in kind donation to the developer at your discretion.    This allows for may add ons to your site that you would normally have to pay someone to create for you. 

If you have the time and just a bit of funds, the best approach might be to build it yourself and find a reliable source to give you some back up technical help here and there, as doing the entire site yourself at all times will be more than many people can.  and want to deal with.  Wordpress offers some website themes at not cost, though you can chose other themes from other vendors.

When choosing hosting companies, the # 1 thing you should make sure of is that you will own you own domain, rather than find out years later that the hosting company actually bought it for you with your money and is leasing it to you.   That would mean you don't own your site.   Check with ICANN to see if you are dealing with a direct domain seller.    You don't have to buy a domain from a direct seller, but it will avoid this issue.

Good Luck

SBLD

LUCKIEST Guide

You've probably heard the saying, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

These days we take in so much info, it's easy to process an idea so thoroughly we think it's our own.

My message today is that you communicate your brand in your content and copy - not just your name, logo and URL.

Uncle Leon Tracker

There are two parts to creating a web site. 

The second is the actual creation.  Knowing that I'm not skilled at this, I would prefer to pay a professional to create the most important marketing / information tool of my biz.

-

The first part is the design...What information you want your web site to provide, and in what order.  Here's what I''ve done in the past:

I design my Home page on one sheet of paper, that shows the Biz name,  basically, what we do, and enticement to "enter".  Sometimes asking the viewer a question at the bottom of a page will entice him to proceed to the next page.  There are "Page Buttons" that the viewer clicks on to go to the various pages.  If you want the viewer to see the pages in a limited order, simply make the site so one page is a portal to another.  On most sites the viewer can access any page from any page....but it's not necessary if a defined progression is beneficial to you (or to him).

-

For each seperate "page", use a seperate piece of paper.

Determine your desired color scheme and Font style by considering your "Branding Image". 

-

After you haave decided what you want, meet with your web designer and discuss your desires.  He (she) may have recommendations that can be of benefit.  You can get good "tips" by just observing other web sites.

Moderator Berta Guide

Great ideas Uncle Leon! Designing your website layout on paper is a great way to visualize your website.  1teezy, How is your website coming? Have you tried any of the ideas that have been suggested?

~Berta

Travis Van Slooten Adventurer

I'm a HUGE fan of WordPress and encourage all of my clients to use it, but there is a learning curve with that platform and it can be frustrating to work with if you're new to it. To that end, the quickest and easiest way to get a website up for your business is to take advantage of the website builders that many domain registrars offer. For example, GoDaddy has a very popular website builder. If you register a domain with them, you'll have access to the builder and can get a website up with ease.

I wouldn't rely on these type of websites for the long-term, however, as they are very limited in what you can do with them in terms of design and functionality. I would only use them as a short-term fix - to get a website up quickly and easily. Then once it's up and running you can focus your attention on creating a more comprehensive website for your business (i.e. learning WordPress).

Travis Van Slooten

jameslabonte Wayfarer

I think Worpress is the best option for build up small business website. By usine WordPress you can easily maintain your website content with best CMS. Also nowadays amazing wordpress templates are avaliable in market which are fully supported to wordpress.

so from my point of view you just go with wordpress.

Visa Wizard Newbie

Hi There!

I own a merchant services company. When people want to accept credit cards, they call us. Needless to say, I have spoken to thousands of small business owners looking to start a website.

There are so many ways to start a website. If you are going to sell products, go daddy, 1 and 1.com, and Bigcom are the 3 I would recommend. The first 2 allow you start for almost nothing and build/pay as you go.

If you are just getting out information, there are free ways and "little cost" options @ go daddy and 1 and 1 but you may want to find someone in your industry to "piggy back" on if funding is an issue.

I just looked at jameslabonte's suggestion and it seemed good too and UNCLE LEON! WOW, that is awesome advice. I wish someone would have suggested those ideas to me years ago!

Good luck from Austin, TX.

Mike

longlivemedia Tracker

Or if you want the already available designs, WordPress or Blogger would be best. Joomla can also be great.

Business Chance Adventurer

It's kind of project, from goods you will sell, suppliers you will rely on, payment method, logistics issue...

TruthBadge Adventurer

Although I've created hundreds of sites using Word Press platform, I don't think this is the fastest and best way; especially if you're a newbie.

Instead, when you're signing up for a web hosting, and you'll have to, pic up the hosting company that as a free add-on has a simple What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) website builder.

That's the fastes and usually easiest way.

Word Press is easy to start with, but is fraught with dangers (leaky plugins and themes, security weeknesses, etc.) that you'll only discover when you're well versed in WP's functions.

And even an average site builder will probably deliver a (visually) better site...

Howard Dave Adventurer

It depend on youor expertise level.  If you know website design and hosting, then go for wordpress and buy a theme.  If you don't know much about this stuff or don't want to spend lil money, then you can use free services like Wix.com or Web.com.  They provide free hosting and website templates.

chixfashionz Wayfarer

To start with, you are doing the right thing by joining and participating in forums like this one. You are informing people that you exist and have a business, if nothing else. Get yourself listed in free business directories and start getting used to social media, like FaceBook and Twitter. Open up a blog - something like blogger and contribute articles about your industry, new trends/products, what you're doing. You can try WordPress, as has been suggested above; see if you are comfortable using it.

Have a talk to others about their websites; who designed them, what hurdles they faced and pitfalls if any. Write down a list of questions you have and ask a number of web developers the same questions to gauge who you feel comfortable dealing with. Some will give honest up-front answers and some will be cagey and try to pressure you!

You will need to think about what you want to achieve with your website and who your audience is. Do you want to sell products directly from it? Is it to promote a service? How will potential customers be able to interact with it?

Moderator Berta Guide

Lots of great information here! Thanks everyone. Lets keep the ideas flowing.

~Berta

Tiny Miracles Newbie

Hi there

I am not computer savy at all.I build my web site myself using go daddy .There team was very helpful.

I called them every time I got stuck.As someone in the comment said make sure you own your domain name.

The very first time I had a website the hosting company bought my domain using my name and when I wanted to stop hosting with them they would not release my name so I had to get a different domain.

Good luck If you want to see how my website looks you can visit tinymiraclesinmotion.com