Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2012 9:15 AM by Moderator Jim

Is Your MAC Safe?

Moderator Jim Ranger

There's been a lot of coverage of wide-spread bot-nets created using infected Apple computer products over the last few months. As more and more businesses are adopting Macbook Pros and Macbook Airs for day to day use, what can be done to keep your MAC platform safe?

Jim

• Re: Is Your MAC Safe?
          Craig Parker Tracker

How much of it is a flaw in the OS and users getting tricked into clicking on things?  As impervious to malware as Linux is, I'm still careful about where I go and what email links I click on.  The .exe files within .zip files don't scare me, but websites trolling through my browser profile do.

Hudacko Enterprises Adventurer

Jim,

I've been a MAC user since 2001 and have yet to experience the problems encountered with my PC's over the past 30 or so years.

I agree with Craig, the majority of problems that users have are related to clicking links in phishing eMails, or on websites that they probably shoudn't even be visiting. While there was some concern lately regarding a virus on the MACs, it was, in fact, malicious code written to take advantage of some holes in Java, NOT the MAC OS. BTW, Apple put out a patch pretty quickly to address the deficiency and I personally do not know of anyone who had their MAC compromised.

Just to be fair, we use several variants of Windows PCs to test out our client's Websites on a regular basis and, due to the control we have, do not have any problems with malicious code on any of them.

Simple solution: If you don't need to click the link, skip it and keep your systems clean!

Tom

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Moderator Jim Ranger

And both great answers to the question. My concern is that they know about the vulnerabilities yet still took a couple of months to address the last zombie infection. There are still tens of thousands of machines that are infected the last time I looked at the stats.

Do you think they should launch an education campaign to help users who may think they're impervious due to the nature of the OS?

Jim