Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2012 12:33 PM by SmallBizWiz

Higher Education Anyone?

Moderator Cath Guide

Another thread caught my attention and I wanted to begin a new discussion and welcome any comments from you all.  Let's remember to make our comments without adding links to particular universities.  You could mention the university in your post, just leave out the url.  Then if someone wants to google up and see more, that's fair.

I believe that if someone wants something bad enough, they will persevere - and this goes for a higher education degree.  Yes, it might take a while longer because the student has to work part-time or even full-time to get additional funds but in the long run, maybe that degree is even more precious.

What do students do these days to help them finance their education?  Mom and dad's pockets are being drained and still there is need for additional money for their student child.  A few sources I can think of are: grants, financial aid from their college, and a part-time job.  Anyone else want to jump in with some additional ideas?

Cath

• Re: Higher Education Anyone?
          Mark Albin Wayfarer

Hmmm is this the next bubble to burst? I think it might be?

crosstime Adventurer

Start at a community college. The tuition is lower and if you complete an associated degree it may be transferable to a four year college.  Then you would be going into the University or state college as a Junior.  Another advantage is that you can get the general classes out of the way so when you continue your schooling you can concentrate on your core classes, your major.  Sometimes you can take a variety of electives at the community college level to pinpoint what field you really want to concentrate on.  Trust me, I've done this with both my kids.  In this economy it's the best way to go.  Another advantage is that at the community level you don't need high SAT scores, you don't need SAT's at all. However, I would ask you too go ahead and take them just to get a feel for testing... no pressure!   Down the line, the Universities and State colleges will only care about your GPA. If you excel  in the community college then you're golden.  Look into freeholders scholarships and other local small endowments.  At some schools, like Union County College, you can apply for all available with just one application and one essay.  The college web site lists all of them and how to apply.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

carlosewers2012 Wayfarer

Get good grades in schools and you'll find it easier to get a scholarship.  Another option is online college. If you choose to do an online program, there's a lot of things you can save on such as commuting, books, etc. It can save both time and money. I've been looking for online nursing programs and read a few Stevens-Henager College reviews. The college offers online programs in addition to its on-campus programs in healthcare, business, IT, and graphic arts. I think it makes sense, but you really need to be self-motivated and disciplined to make it a success.

Moderator Cath Guide

Thanks for your response, carlosewers2012.  I always tell students to strive for the best grades possible.  At the time, I'm sure, it doesn't seem too important to the student but when it comes to college admission and scholarships, those good grades are golden.

Crosstime's comment about looking into community colleges is another good suggestion.  Attend a community college for the first two years, dig into all those required courses, and then find the upper level college that holds the degree you want.

Self motivation and discipline (thanks here too, carlosewers2012) is essential but even more so if you choose to do any of your work online.  How easy it is to play a game or two - watch the last few minutes of your favorite tv show - or become distracted by multiple things that are trying to pull you away from your work.

But a college degree is attainable - it just depends on how much you want it.  And how willing you are to sacrifce for it.

Cath

SmallBizWiz Adventurer

It's very popular right now for students to start off at community colleges. I think that is a very smart decision. The first couple years of college are usually the same, follow through with core requirements, take a few different classes, feel around for what you're interested in. Why pay $20,000 dollars for what you could easily obtain (and enjoy while doing so) paying a few thousand $s at a community college. A friend of mine's son entered an essay contest for a small grant, and he won and received the money. Cath, you're right about the degree of motivation and drive for that degree. It's definitely attainable, and at a lower cost than lots of people make it out to be. There's smarter decisions than just packing up for some expensive 4-year college right after high school.