Post a new topic
    14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2008 2:13 PM by abbhey

I'm looking for feedback/advice on our IT consulting website

Momentum Wayfarer

I'm always looking to improve our company and I wanted some feedback from people outside our company on our website design.

If you can let me know what you like and what you dislike, I would really appreciate. Please be specific

Here is the website

• Re: I'm looking for feedback/advice on our IT consulting website
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

Except as noted below, I found the overall look, organization, and content to be very agreeable:

I'm not a big fan of continuous looping flash -- my preference would be to reveal it once and freeze it, so it doesn't distract. I find it hard to read text content (especially relatively small text content) with three different flash panels going on the top and right side.

There seems to be a lot of screen real estate being used on the top and sides for things a typical visitor isn't going to read. If it were my site, I'd want more relevant content without scrolling down, and less "busy" stuff in the margins.

"Our Team" really looks more like "Our Capabilities" -- and I never found anything about the people who own the firm, run the company, and do the work.

The first place I went was "Web Design" and the first thing I looked for there was a portfolio, and I couldn't find one. Actually, I did find one later under "Clients" -- but I think it should be moved, or at least there should be an obvious way to navigate to the portfolio for the web design page.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Momentum Wayfarer

Thanks for the valuable input. For Flash we are already working on a better version and right now we are in process for getting professional content for the animation slides. If you could recomend some or put me in touch with someone who can do it for us that will be great. Other recomendations made by you are agreeable and we will work on them, once I have some more opinions for the website.

Once again, thanks a lot for your valuable time and comments.
                  maxviana01 Newbie
                  The site is pretty simple and to the point. As for the flashmy oppinion is that you should slow the main flash movie down some, maybe down to about 2 seconds per image, that will change the fast pace looping feeling it has and make it more corporate feeling instantly. the top right flash movie you can do with out and make that ad static but the same image, the bottom can remain and I think you have a great home page if all your content is dynamic.

I am a web developer responsab;e for a lot of high profile celebrity web sites and 7 flash awards, but who cares now days. the more simple the better, it's all about being dynamic now days not flashy :)

Over all great job, I can provide input or ideas if needed.

Great Day
                  Max "cyber" V
                NatOnline Tracker
                Not only a great site, but an excellent customer service !

I had the opportunity to talk to you about my SEO needs, and I am very happy to find a serious company with reasonable prices.
                  Wingman Adventurer

Hi Momentum,

I agree with one of the other comments about reducing the amount of Flash images. To distracting to the user.

I would also recommend having a member of your team read all the text that is being displayed on your pages to make sure they are correct and read properly. Some examples include:

On the Web Design page - 3rd paragraph is referring to 'blue-chip organistations'. Is organistation a real word?

Development process - 2nd paragraph - 'This results into exceptional quality...' Would read better if 'This results in exceptional quality...'

'How do we do it?' 8th bullet - 'Modifications are done to the application, based on BETA testing results'

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    bankpig Adventurer
                    Hi Momentum,

Its a nice design. I like the complimenting colors and theme. I also think there are too many things which which seem to flash. I don't like the wavey blue background. I prefer solid.

Hope that helps.

Michael Adventurer
                      The upside to your site is it is visually stunning! It is most definately a piece of art to all that can access it.

The down side is that not all can access your website.

Persons with handicaps/ disabilities are going to have a hard time even knowing what the content is on your site.

Here is a link to my companies home page:

Not as visually stunning as your site, but it is fully accessible to all persons, disabled or otherwise.

Court recently ruled against Target for having an un-accesbile website.
                        Michael Adventurer
                        I should expand a little on why it is not accessible.

There are three different priority levels to ensure a website is fully accessible.

Priority Level one MUST be satisfied to be accessible.
                        Priority Level two SHOULD be satisfied.
                        Priority level three is MAY be satisfied.

Your site does not meet pracitically ANY of Level Two and Three priorities.

Priority Level one has met SOME of the requirements. Example: Flash can not be seen, unless properly tagged. Some images do not have the "alt" tag attached to them so that the image can be seen.

I hope that assists you. Once again the site outside of those issues, is GREAT!
                            Momentum Wayfarer

Thanks a lot for spending your valuable time to review our website. We appreciate your feedback. Regarding compliance, we have already taken care of earlier and I will get it revalidated in greater detail. Our website is Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional from day one, also for Accessibility it passe all applicable 508 Standards including Section 1194.22.

For XHTML validation you click on the W3C XHTML validation icon on our website or simply use this URL:

For Section 508 Accessibility standards I just got the report at and got the following:
                            HiSoftware® Cynthia SaysTM - Web Content Accessibility Report
                            Powered byHiSoftware Content QualityTechnology

Verified File Name: and Time: 2/9/2008 5:55:15 AM
                            Passed Automated Verification

Should you have any other suggestions, please feel free to suggest, as always, we will try to get our site validated among those standards too.

Kind Regards.
                                Michael Adventurer

Once again, you site is designed beautifully, and is most certainly up to today's standards if not beyond. It did most certainly pass validation in regards to XHTML via

Section 508 compliance applies to federal entities not the private sector. Please read this quote from the website:
                                "In 1998, Congress amended the Rehabilitation Act to require Federal agencies to make their electronic and information technology accessible to people with disabilities. Inaccessible technology interferes with an individual's ability to obtain and use information quickly and easily. Section 508 was enacted to eliminate barriers in information technology, to make available new opportunities for people with disabilities, and to encourage development of technologies that will help achieve these goals. The law applies to all Federal agencies when they develop, procure, maintain, or use electronic and information technology. Under Section 508 (29 U.S.C. ‘ 794d), agencies must give disabled employees and members of the public access to information that is comparable to the access available to others. It is recommended that you review the laws and regulations listed below to further your understanding about Section 508 and how you can support implementation."

If you notice some images that you place your mouse pointer over, their is no words that come up. This means that a person that has a visual impairment does not know they are there, or if they do know the images are there they have no idea what they are. My comment was on the Web Accessiblity Initiative, not in regards to the Section 508 Compliance, as Section 508 only applies to the federal sector and not the private.

For more information regarding the Web Accessibility Initiative, please go to . This applies to the private sector. To be completely accessible your site would have to look on the same lines of something like this: As you can tell this site is not visually stunning, although to a person with a disability it is a open door with a smile. Might I suggest that you have a link to completely accessible content at the top of your index page?

I ran a Functional Accessibility Evaluation on your site, and it came up with the following errors: Once again this is going with the guidelines of accessible content and not Section 508 standards. This report was ran via a tool processed through the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign visit their site at:

Test Evaluation Summaries in HTML Best Practices Main Categories
                                Status 1% Pass% Warn% Fail

Navigation & Orientation \\Not Implemented141471

Text Equivalents \\Complete10000

Scripting \\Not Implemented00100

Styling \\Complete10000

HTML Standards \\Partially Implemented333333

It would be next to impossible to implement a site that is as stunning as your site, without out having the above errors, and rest assured you are like all the other billions of sites out there that are not compliant. Anyone that uses your company will have only the best of standards applied to thier site, and this above report most certainly does not establish your work as being less then. Here is the report for a validation of your site via XHTML.

This Page Is Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional!

Encoding:utf-8(detect automatically) utf-8 (Unicode, worldwide) utf-16 (Unicode, worldwide) iso-8859-1 (Western Europe) iso-8859-2 (Central Europe) iso-8859-3 (Southern Europe) iso-8859-4 (North European) iso-8859-5 (Cyrillic) iso-8859-6-i (Arabic) iso-8859-7 (Greek) iso-8859-8 (Hebrew, visual) iso-8859-8-i (Hebrew, logical) iso-8859-9 (Turkish) iso-8859-10 (Latin 6) iso-8859-11 (Latin/Thai) iso-8859-13 (Latin 7, Baltic Rim) iso-8859-14 (Latin 8, Celtic) iso-8859-15 (Latin 9) iso-8859-16 (Latin 10) us-ascii (basic English) euc-jp (Japanese, Unix) shift_jis (Japanese, Win/Mac) iso-2022-jp (Japanese, email) euc-kr (Korean) gb2312 (Chinese, simplified) gb18030 (Chinese, simplified) big5 (Chinese, traditional) Big5-HKSCS (Chinese, Hong Kong) tis-620 (Thai) koi8-r (Russian) koi8-u (Ukrainian) iso-ir-111 (Cyrillic KOI-8) macintosh (MacRoman) windows-1250 (Central Europe) windows-1251 (Cyrillic) windows-1252 (Western Europe) windows-1253 (Greek) windows-1254 (Turkish) windows-1255 (Hebrew) windows-1256 (Arabic) windows-1257 (Baltic Rim)

Doctype:XHTML 1.0 Transitional(detect automatically) XHTML 1.0 Strict XHTML 1.0 Transitional XHTML 1.0 Frameset HTML 4.01 Strict HTML 4.01 Transitional HTML 4.01 Frameset HTML 3.2 HTML 2.0 ISO/IEC 15445:2000 ("ISO HTML") XHTML 1.1 XHTML Basic 1.0 XHTML-Print 1.0 XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1 MathML 2.0 SVG 1.0 SVG 1.1 SVG 1.1 Tiny SVG 1.1 Basic SMIL 1.0 SMIL 2.0

Root Element:html

Root Namespace:

The above report says more about your work then the previous, as it goes above and beyond today's standards.

Unfortunately today's standards do not consider a person that is disabled when a site is implemented.
                                  Michael Adventurer

Please let me simplify.

At the very top of your site, you have an image of your toll free number and chat online. The reason I know this is an image is because you can not highlight the text.

When you place your pointer over the image, their is no text that comes up that tells you what the image is. A screen reader utilized by an individual with a visual or other type of disability does not know what this image is.

If you scroll down on your site, and place the pointer over top of one of the featured sites, you will notice that a tiny window opens up with text that tells you what that image is.

All images must have the "alt" tag attached to them to meet priority level one of the Web Accessibility Standards.

The "alt" tag allow an image to be seen.

If not willing to invest in designing an alternate site that is completely accessible to indivduals with disabilities, it is always a good practice to try and meet priority level one of web accessible standards. Meeting all three priorities would result in a site like this:

Please notice their is a link at the top of the site to accessible content.
                                      Lighthouse24 Ranger

Michael, I'm not an expert on this -- so these are questions/clarifications, not challenges/arguments:

On the court's ruling against Target -- as I understand that case, the National Federation for the Blind (NFB) complained that according to California laws governing accessibility, Target's website was a "store" and therefore had to be accessible to persons with disabilities (including the visually impaired). Target argued that those laws protect against discrimination, and that they were not discriminating against the visually-impaired (because anything being sold via the "non-compliant" website was also available through other fully-compliant outlets for the same or a lower price). A district judge in California disagreed and found in favor of the NFB, which opened the door to a class action suit in that state against Target. Target was not fined or punished for violating any law, and the civil suit is still pending (i.e., Target has not lost the lawsuit). If they lose, it still only sets a precedent for businesses in California -- and, as is always the case, other states may or may not follow California's example. For Target, I'd think the cost of defending the suit would be more expensive than compliance. However, I've seen numerous estimates stating that bringing even the simplest ecommerce website into compliance can cost $15K or more -- so I can also understand why small ecommerce businesses with a low volume of customer transactions might not rush to do this voluntarily.

As you noted, Section 508 applies to federal entities, but many states have adopted it as law for state agencies and public facilities like schools, hotels, and libraries. Private companies that provide products or services to government or public entities within the state are also be required to comply in many cases. The NFB and other groups are pushing hard in those states to have web sites like Facebook, MySpace, and Friendster (all of which have been labeled "blind-hostile") officially declared as "public facilities" and forced to comply. Facebook says it can't comply fully AND provide the security and anti-spam measures it is already required to have in place without essentially scraping all of the existing community's content and starting over -- so there will probably be more news on this topic in the months ahead.

My understanding is that the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (the 3-level conformance standard you cited) came out of the Web Accessibility Initiative which is just that - an initiative, not a law. A Forrester Research report and related studies claim that 57 percent of American adults would benefit from adoption of the guidelines -- including not only the estimated 9.7 million who are visually impaired, but also the 69 million who do not speak English, and the 90 million who can't read or write. Obviously, if your enterprise serves any part of that market, conforming to the guideline would seem like good business -- but it still serves as a conformance standard that developers can work toward, not a regulatory requirement that businesses must adhere to, right?

Thanks for your comments.
                                  Momentum Wayfarer

I have recieved a lot of great feedback and for that I am thankful. But if someone has added something you wanted to say, please add it again. I want to see what areas of the website people like best and what they dislike most. Again thank you for taking the time to help me out.

abbhey Newbie
                                    I am a webdesigner myself.
                                    I like the look and feel, though i will not make it so busy. I am not happy about the choice of fonts.

On the whole it is a nice website. With some small changes it will become awesome. More use of white spaces will pop out the rest of the page.
                                    Best wishes to you and your team.