Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2012 1:31 PM by Moderator Cath

Employee Training

Moderator Berta Guide

Anyone knows that as a new employee they are going to receive training for the job they have been hired to do. All employers have their way of doing thing within their company and train their employees accordingly.

Does your company have continued training for employees? Do you cross train employess?

Lets here your thoughts on training existing employees?

~Berta

• Re: Employee Training
          LUCKIEST Guide

Training - Knowing what to do is only half the job.

The first thing new employees need is "information"

Employees need "organization skills"

Along the same lines is "self knowledge and self management"

Good training is then fined tuned to your environment.

LUCKIEST

CEO Space Scout

I have always believed in continual training and had it in place in all locations.

If you don't do this, even if you have nothing new going on, it always seemed to me like making a copy of a copy of a copy.  It starts to look very different from the original.

We monthly go over everything again with all employees and it is amazing the details that have gotten dropped.

I also should add, since we did it for everyone, no one ever felt "singled out" when they needed a little extra help.

My employees always appreciated this, too.

CPJ Adventurer

Most employers hire an employee to suit a particular function within an organization. Many will not anticipate that employee being needed to perform other functions outside of their employment mandates. Depending upon the circumstance of the nature of the business, for instance, should the business be a progressive and dynamic sensibility, which is growing and expanding, existing employee's can be tapped by virtue of their aptitude for multi-tasking into other performance applications necessary to the organization's functionality.

Cross-training suggests their moving from one particular function to another entirely different function. Multi-tasking suggests their absorbing the knowledge to perform extra skill sets to be utilized whenever the need arises. With business expansion or contraction that same employee can provide a particular performance skill whenever necessary and remain in their prime employment designation mandate. 

Moderator Cath Guide

Berta's question is a good one.  We, owners and managers expect the best from our employees BUT are we giving them our best tools for success? 

Ongoing training is one of those tools and can be accomplished in a variety of ways.  Do you use mentoring to help new employees tweak their skills?  Most business have guidelines/rules of the road - when were your guidelines last updated?

I totally agree with CEO Space - training is for ALL employees, not just the new ones or the ones who need extra help.  Make your training a group experience with meals provided and some down-time, just for talking with one another.

Keep your ears open - you will learn along with your employees and everyone will benefit, including your business!

Let's hear more about your training procedures - what works for you just may fit into my next training.

Cath